diver dave1

Fantasea Bigeye Lens

I see Fantasea is offering a BigEye lens in a variety of connections. Its an U/W/ wet lens add on so you can switch from macro to wider angle.

They claim an 80 degree field of view for a G10 so its not really wide angle compared to DSLR. Seems to have the effect of dome shooting in place of flat port.

Anyone tried it?

Hasn't been released yet to my knowledge. Should be soon though.

Jack

Hasn't been released yet to my knowledge. Should be soon though.

Jack

They sent me an email announcing the recent release on Monday, June 15.

Here is a portion of their email, copied/pasted.

"Fantasea Line is pleased to announce the release of the new BigEye Wide Angle Lenses, featuring innovative configurations and a breakthrough technology."

Yeah, they meant that it was released for production, etc. Has to get to HK, then the US, etc.

I checked again today, shipments should start arriving to their Chicago warehouse in a week to 10 days.

Jack

Thanks for the update. It sounds interesting and would appear to fit my gear easily enough.. G9, OEM housing, and not over expensive.

I appreciate the information.

I also saw the bigeye lenses and was coming here to ask the same thing. Sorry I can't contribute anything to the topic.

I do have another question about them, would pics through a dome like this be sharper than using a WA lens? I know it won't be as wide, but I'm willing to sacrifice some wideness for sharpness.

I won't know until we shoot with it some, but my guess is yes, especially in the corners, the dome design should help quite a bit over flat optics.

Jack

I emailed the company to see if they would have anyhting to fit my Panasonic DMC-TZ5, but it doesn't look like they have anything large enough to fit over the front lens port. I thoughtit was similar to the OEM housing for the G10, but after measuring it the Panasonic is larger- so much for that idea.

I won't know until we shoot with it some, but my guess is yes, especially in the corners, the dome design should help quite a bit over flat optics.

Jack

Thanks Jack. I just saw peorders for the 46mm one on B&H for $110 w/free shipping. At that price, I'm just order one and hope for the best.

@FreediveWI: If there's a 67mm adapter for your camera's housing, Fantasea does list one with a M67 thread.

Gee, you might want to check my site after I answer your questions...

Jack

Gee, you might want to check my site after I answer your questions...

Jack

I checked your site before I asked and couldn't find any mention of it.

Now I see it there and, wow, $99! That's too awesome.

Interesting lens, I don't suppose they make one with an AD connector that I could use with a Canon S80 (also 28mm) in an Ike housing?

No AD connector, but if I remember right Ike makes a 67mm port connector (?) that would work with the 67mm version. you'd have to check with them.

Jack

Sponsors

Advertisements