Sign in to follow this  
BDSC

Question about editing?

Right now I have a Sony miniDV camcorder with the tapes. I edit with the Sony Vegas 8 software. So when I go to download the video to the computer, the software starts the camera and captures all the video from the tape. It recognizes each time you start and stop the tape and calls it a clip.

My question is, when using a camcorder that records to a hard drive and not tapes, does the process work pretty much the same? Will each time you start and stop the recording process be downloaded as individual clips, etc.

Thanks for any input.

Ash

My question is, when using a camcorder that records to a hard drive and not tapes, does the process work pretty much the same? Will each time you start and stop the recording process be downloaded as individual clips, etc.

Hi There -

Yes, file based formats record each start/stop as a single clip. There are workflow solutions to group clips together, depending on your editing solution.

OK. Thanks!

Don't know the Sony system NLE but in Final Cut Pro you can disable the start/stop in the capture settings. I personally hate it myself so I always make sure the start/stop is unchecked. When shooting in SD, however, you have to initiate the start/stop once the clips are captured. I preferred that.

Steve

OK. Thanks.

Who makes Final Cut Pro? When (not if) I upgrade to a HD system, I will probably have to upgrade my software. May stick with Sony Vegas but would consider something else also.

OK. Thanks.

Who makes Final Cut Pro? When (not if) I upgrade to a HD system, I will probably have to upgrade my software. May stick with Sony Vegas but would consider something else also.

Apple and you will need an Apple Computer. FWIW, the Final Cut Studio has DVD SP, Soundtrack, Final Cut Pro, Compressor & Motion, a pretty nice group of apps overall for a reasonable price (considering the price of software)

Don't know the Sony system NLE but in Final Cut Pro you can disable the start/stop in the capture settings. I personally hate it myself so I always make sure the start/stop is unchecked. When shooting in SD, however, you have to initiate the start/stop once the clips are captured. I preferred that.

Steve

For some reason I always use create new clip on timecode break....sort of got used to it for various things above water and it carried through.

Final Cut Studio also has the LiveType and Color applications in addition to the apps Real Drew mentioned. With Snow Leopard being released in Sept and a guess that the new Final Cut Studio release will be in Nov there has been the suggestion that Live Type may be dropped. My Apple contacts are sworn to secrecy about this.

Steve

Edited by steve

Final Cut Studio also has the LiveType and Color applications in addition to the apps Real Drew mentioned. With Snow Leopard being released in Sept and a guess that the new Final Cut Studio release will be in Nov there has been the suggestion that Live Type may be dropped. My Apple contacts are sworn to secrecy about this.

Steve

Dasng, forgot to mention LiveType and Color, knew I forgot something :angry: Especially Color. (I find myself using Motion in lieu of LiveType anyway.) Will be really happy if the next round takes full advantage of multiprocessors...

That's the biggest thing behind the release of Snow Leopard, full use of the processors. I also rarely use Live Type and like the Boris Text in FCP because it is vector based. Motion, as you said, also does a good job. Now if Adobe can just redo the ancient code used in After Effects so that renders don't take a week, I'd be happy.

Steve

code used in After Effects so that renders don't take a week, I'd be happy.

Hi Steve -

If you're working in a shared storage facility, the AE Render Engine helps greatly. It's also not too bad if you're not using a ton of heavy (1080 10 bit) footage - it has to kick out the clips as well as the comps to the nodes.

-Ed

Wish I were working in a shared storage facility but, like many, I have my own editing bay that no one touches on the risk of death. As it is, it is about time that Adobe does some major work on AE to bring it up to speed. Actually, glad I am on a Mac as PC people who try to upgrade to CS4 on 32 bit computers will find even slower performance and more instability than they had with CS3.

Steve

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements