Sign in to follow this  
mexwell

Canon EOS 300D announced!!! 1099,- $

Hi everybody,

today Canon announced the new EOS 300D for a very, very attractive pricepoint:

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eosdigital/index.html

You will get the body for 1099,- Euros/$ SRP and the set including an lens for 1199,- Euro/$ SRP.

Is this camera the logical step from a highend consumer cam to digital SLR?

Who will build a housing for this cam?

Which lens will be the best? (Old EF ones are compatible!)

I am looking forward tor read your impressions

Best regards

Christian

Another link on the D300.

Canon EOS D300

You can almost smell the comparison shopping threads in the air, can't you? (D300 vs. D60 for the same price....or should I just wait and save up for the 10D?):rolleyes: Looking forward to seeing all the reviews once they're out.

What are its dimensions? Do you think it will fit in existing D30/D60 or 10D housings?

Great news.

From what I've seen at dpreview.com, this is much smaller than a 10d, which is basically the same as a D60, so I doubt that it would fit in a housing built for either the 10d/d60.

Nice little camera though, especially with the 7pt AF and the same sensor as the 10d. Now all Canon needs is something in between the 10d and the 1d, and the lineup would be complete. Ok, they need to update the 1d too, but....

Yeah I guess you could equate as a digital version of their entry-level "rebel" series SLRs. From first looks, I think I prefer the bodies on the D60 and 10D, though.

Check out Canon's Website. Looks like this is actually named the "digital Rebel" in the US, where it's the 300D in Europe, and the KISS Digital in Japan. Whatever you call it, it's a nice entry level dSLR.

I definitely prefer the bodies / functionality on the 10d (or the D60 for that matter), even at the increase in price that the 10d represents. Pretty amazing that Canon just released a dSLR for $899 though. I can think of a few people who might consider jumping to an SLR at this point, because even with the packaged lens, which is probably less than sharp, it's still under $1k. If I were shopping for a new prosumer cam, there is almost no way I would go with anything other than this, i.e. the new Sony 828, the Oly E-1, etc.

There's also lots of rumors floating around about either a digital EOS 3 or "3D" (8-9 MP, 45 pt AF), or a replacement for the 1d (larger sensor mostly). If the 3d materializes, I'll seriously consider adding a new body to my camera collection. As it is, I've been thinking about picking up either a lightly used D60 or a 10d as an additional camera. Be nice to have a backup / topside camera.

I guess there's yet another housing that needs to be made. Ike???? :rolleyes:

Check out Canon's Website.  Looks like this is actually named the "digital Rebel" in the US, where it's the 300D in Europe, and the KISS Digital in Japan.  Whatever you call it, it's a nice entry level dSLR.

I definitely prefer the bodies / functionality on the 10d (or the D60 for that matter), even at the increase in price that the 10d represents.  Pretty amazing that Canon just released a dSLR for $899 though.  I can think of a few people who might consider jumping to an SLR at this point, because even with the packaged lens, which is probably less than sharp, it's still under $1k.   If I were shopping for a new prosumer cam, there is almost no way I would go with anything other than this, i.e. the new Sony 828, the Oly E-1, etc.  

I guess there's yet another housing that needs to be made.  Ike????   :rolleyes:

What are the features that are in the 10D and not the 300D? The features list look very similar to me.

The 300D has major advantages vs the 10D.

- 1/2 lbs lighter

- almost 1 cm smaller in width and height

- cost ~ $500 less

The plastic body is not an issue if it's going to spend most of it's working life in a housing. I think it may be time to reach for my credit card.

Smaller memory buffer and slower frame rate. Non-issues underwater. It's curious that no one's mentioned that Canon introduced a digital-only, APS-C-optimized lens. In Canon's case it appears to be for cost reduction only and it won't work with the 10D. Bummer.

Smaller memory buffer and slower frame rate.  Non-issues underwater.  It's curious that no one's mentioned that Canon introduced a digital-only, APS-C-optimized lens.  In Canon's case it appears to be for cost reduction only and it won't work with the 10D.  Bummer.

...and new extension tubes. We'll have to see how good they are at macro.

There's a couple of other things as well that differentiate the two:

1. Can't select the AF mode (Single Shot, AI Focus, AI Servo) camera chooses for you --> maybe a big deal, maybe not. I do change the setting on my D60 depending on the circumstance.

2. No rear dial, so some controls will be harder to set (10D exposure settings are on buttons / wheel, 300d is in menus)

4. No mirror lockup --> again, not a big deal UW, but definitely topside for long exposures

5. Lower ISO (1600 max vs 3200) --> probably not an issue UW

6. Pentamirror vs pentaprism for viewfinder (darker viewfinder) --> have to see how it behaves

7. Higher crop in viewfinder (.8X vs .88X I think I saw somewhere) --> definitely something I'd have an issue with UW as well as topside. I already complain about the D60 because of the .88X, so losing another 8% of the frame would be aggravating

8. No custom functions supposedly --> Could probably live with this

9. Top LCD is gone, actually looks like it's shrunken and put on the back, maybe not backlit.

10. New "short focus" mirror assembly to accomodate the new lens that Craig mentioned. Potentially longer shutter blackout than a 10d

11. Crappy silver body instead of ultra cool black :P

Ok, so based on that, would you buy the 300D? I'd have to say that it'd be a tough decision right now. Looking at it from a purely UW point of view, probably not a bad choice to pick this and put the extra $$$ towards a nice lens. I don't think that I'd want it to be my only camera topside though. As for "side-grading" from a D60, I won't do it, even with the improved AF and DIGIC sensor. But then again, I didn't upgrade to a 10D either, because it wasn't enough of an upgrade. I'd like the better AF, but it's just not worth it.

NOW, with this, the street price of the 10D may come down, and this will certainly push the price of a used D60 down, which might be compelling.

Herb, please don't buy one of these, the images I've seen you produce with a prosumer cam are amazing enough. Can't imagine if you had an SLR and some high quality glass! :rolleyes::D:lol:

My concern is that the 300D will cannibalize 10D sales. Canon could update the 10D but it's too new a camera for that it seems. If they did it would really put the screws to Fuji/Nikon.

My concern is that the 300D will cannibalize 10D sales.  Canon could update the 10D but it's too new a camera for that it seems.  If they did it would really put the screws to Fuji/Nikon.

I think the 300D will put the screws to Fuji/Nikon. Unless they respond soon they will lose the low end of the SLR market to Canon; someone like me who's buying his first SLR. Once someone starts a collection of Canon lenses, it'll be very hard to get him to switch. It may not be as a big deal for Fuji. In the future they can make Canon compatible bodies just as they make Nikon compatible ones now, their area of expertise is the sensor. The people running Nikon should be very concerned.

Let's wait and see what happens. I'm also excited to see how (if) Nikon or Fuji responds. A massive price drop on the S2 or D100 would be Muy Bueno! B)

Yeah, no matter how you slice it, this is great. It's good for people who want to get into dSLRs, it's good for those who want a smaller dSLR that should produce good pics, and it's good for competition.

The interesting thing will be to see how this works out in the UW area in terms of housings. One of the reasons people choose P&S cams is that you can get tiny housings for them. I wonder how this will work out with the d Rebel, will there be cheap(er) housings available relative to the traditional dSLR versions?

I wouldn't hold your breath for a housing though...

Look at the trends from the past. Most of the housing manufacturers have concentrated their efforts on the "high end" models. People made housings for the F5 and the F90 - not the lower end models like the F65 and F70... Mainly these cameras are supported only by Ikelite

We are finally seeing a new trend in that camera manufacturers are making more than one model of DSLR for their "lineup." This is great, but I wouldn't expect to see a lot of housings for the lower end cameras.

Cheers

James

Well James,

I like to spread some rumours at this point. I know at least two manufacturers

who will be very quickly releasing housings for this camera. The reason is that

they just might have to upgrade backplates of their existing modells...

Funny though is that exisiting housing blueprints from the old analogue world

will be revived. I also would bet a few dollars, that everyone owning an old

Canon Rebell housing will be fine with just buying a new backplate.

Also note that a 1.000 USD camera is very often housed in a 1.600 USD alu.

Best example is the Powershot G3/G5 only around 899 EUR and housings for

1400 EUR sell quite well... And this is just a non-SLR-example that does not

enter the water together with expensive lenses... :rolleyes:

So? I think... not much is going to change... Maybe finally the housing market

is going to settle down and function more like back in the old days.. We'll see.

It's not uncommon for video cameras to be housed in products costing more than the camera. Sometimes video lights cost more than the camera, too. Strange but true.

I would think it would depend on the demand. If the 300D makes a big enough splash (pardon the pun) and housing manufacturers stand to make a profit, I don't see why they wouldn't. Let's face it, there aren't a ton of dSLRs out there at this point so it wouldn't be too hard to keep up with, unlike digital/film SLRs or P&S where there are so many choices within each company's line of products. I'm sure they'll continue to keep an eye on how things fare with the 300D sales and if they get a lot of requests for it.

In a worst case scenario, Ike will always come through, even if others don't...:rolleyes:

I could not quench information about the pricing out of Uwe yet.

He just said it would be below 1.799 EUR. You Americans have

to divide that by 1.16 (= 1.550 EUR) to substract the German VAT.

But as I said, it might be lower than this,...

He did not decide on the final pricing.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements