echeng

Interested in goliath grouper trip in Florida?

Would you go on a 4-day Bahamas sharks/dolphins + 3-day Florida goliath groupers liveaboard trip?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in such a trip?

• Yes -- very interested
    • Maybe -- intriguing!
    • No -- boring

Poll: Does a 1-week liveaboard trip featuring Bahamas shark and dolphins combined with goliath groupers in Florida interest anyone?

Eric:

I don't know how you'd "combine" the trip with a Bahamas section, but I'd recommend looking into the Spree as a potential charter op if you focus more on Florida specifically. Captain Frank is a great guy, the Spree's a great boat, and from reading recent trip reports he's really gotten into more 'custom' charter ops as well. They've done deep wreck trips, rebreather only trips, etc. They're currently operating more around the Dry Tortugas (Keys), but I gather that isn't a mandatory with enough advance planning.

If WP sponsored a charter on the Spree I'd be there with bells on. Haven't gotten to dive them since they left Texas...

Eric:

I don't know how you'd "combine" the trip with a Bahamas section, but I'd recommend looking into the Spree a

end quote

i was just on this boat for a week in june. awesome vessel and crew. Its a converted crew boat but it is very well finished their website does not do the boat justice.

Frank and melanie <owners>are super nice people who understand diving and divers, id love to dive with them again. they sail from stock island/ key west and have

the range for dry tortugas, cay sal banks cuba etc. we saw huge goliaths on almost every dive; mine was a rb only tech trip so maybe that influenced things.

we also saw bull, lemon and nurse sharks, all kinds of fish inc big schools, turtles and dolphins. plus our last dive was a nite hop on the vandenberg.

just awesome.

Edited by kybrt

I assume you're considering a JASA trip with a detour say to Jupiter area. (Dry Tortugas, Marquesas area probably a little far) I think it could be a nice addition, particularly at the right time of year with balls of baitfish etc.

Edited by loftus

I am currently looking at organizing three to four day charter with JASA's Shear Water for a Goliath grouper spawning trip in the West Palm and Jupiter for late August or early September. This would be primarily a rebreather only group hitting the all three of the aggregation sites these go to that time of year, along with few other spots for sea turtles, wrecks and sharks also in the area.

post-4290-1246316585.jpg

post-4290-1246316604.jpg

Sounds like a fun trip to me...all of the above. Hey Walt, send me the RB trip info please!

If one could take part in the Florida (Jupiter) part I'm in. I would love to dive with the folks from Wetpixel. I dive Jupiter Whenver I can and would relish sharing the experience with people from this community. I would also be willing to help out with logistics if needed. I live in Centeral Florida, about 3 hours drive from Jupiter, so I could do some prep work in the area if any is needed. Keep us informed if you set something up - or if you need help setting something up...

Poll: Does a 1-week liveaboard trip featuring Bahamas shark and dolphins combined with goliath groupers in Florida interest anyone?

Yes!

I've just updated the expeditions page with a listing for this trip!

We have two Bahamas and Florida trips planned (so far) for 2010:

1. Bahamas Sharks & Dolphins, July 18-26, 2010

Shark and dolphin expeditions to the Bahamas aboard the M/V Shear Water.

Tiger sharks, lemon sharks, reef shark, and wild dolphins.

Trip led by Alex Mustard.

2. Bahamas Sharks & Dolphins, Florida Goliath Groupers, September 11-19, 2010

Tiger sharks, lemon sharks, reef sharks and dolphins in the Bahamas, followed by a goliath grouper spawning aggregation in Florida (M/V Shear Water).

Trip led by Eric Cheng.

Sponsors

Advertisements