The other day I learned of photo requests for an upcoming book on Clownfish for salt water aquariums. The actual request was posted by a photo editor in a subscription based trade e-newsletter. Most of the photos revolved around Clownfish in a aquarium situation. Thinking the editor might need some individual clownfish photos/portraits I emailed her and here is her response:

Hi Tom,

That's correct. We have all the free ones of those we need. But thanks for asking.

C.....

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 2:12 PM, <stackt@............> wrote:

C.....

If I'm reading your (name of e-newsletter) request correctly, you will not consider shots of clownfish

underwater in their natural environment?

Best,

Tom Stack

It sounds like he/she got all the free ones they need from aquarists who shared their photos for free. I'm not surprised really.

Cheers

James

It sounds like he/she got all the free ones they need from aquarists who shared their photos for free. I'm not surprised really.

Cheers

James

James,

That sounded reasonable, so I wrote her again:

"Well, actually they aren't really free... but with the number of images we use, they might as well be. We do subscription service to royalty-free stock houses like iStockphoto, Shutterstock and Dreamstime who have a bunch of the natural environment images. Also, we do get a few from independent photographers or organizations for free - not as many, though."

C......

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Tom Stack & Associates <........@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Hi C.......,

Curious, where did you get the free pics? Aquarists? Photographers? Internet search? Flickr?

Thanks!

Tom

Sponsors

Advertisements