Sign in to follow this  
Knifer

Choosing Strobe

I was set on getting a manual DS-51 as my first strobe for my ikelite housing, but after reading some more, I'm leaning more towards an Inon. I have the canon 570IS, so the ikelite housing doesn't support TTL. I've read that a lot of people like the Inon D-2000. The main reason I was leaning towards the DS-51 was because it was cheaper and easy to figure out what parts I need. I looked at the DS-125 and 160, but they are probably out of my price range and I don't really want a battery pack.

I was trying to get an estimate on a price of an Inon D-2000, but there are a whole bunch of models and they recently closed down their U.S. website and I can't find a trustworthy/well priced website with them. Along with that, I don't know what arms, base, and such I need for it. I priced my DS-51 package with the arm at around 550 or so at BHphotovideo.

Hi Knifer,

Welcome and you've certainly found the right place for questions like this. I have both the DS51 and Inon strobes so maybe I can offer some advice.

I think if you'll be using your camera w/ the basic housing and no WA lens, then the DS51 should be fine. It's not a super wide beam strobe, but can cover a 24mm lens no problem. I like the DS51 because it's small and light, however you'll have to use it with the slave sensor which adds complexity and bulk.

I did a review of the D2000 that you can find here on Wetpixel in the library.

Cheers

James

I recommend you look into the Inon S2000. It costs more than Ikelite DS51 but less than the Inon D2000. It's small, light and has Inon's STTL which has worked perfectly for me. I assume it'll be able to trigger just as well through your Ikelite housing. Any of the wetpixel retail sponsors should be able to set you up with all the parts you need with prices competitive with B&H.

Elron

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements