Sign in to follow this  
jproc77

Sea & Sea/ Nikon WA lens dillema

Ok,

I got a sweet deal on a used Sea and Sea setup for my D80. Here's the "problem"...

I own a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX lens and the Sea and Sea package comes with the NX fisheye dome port.

The two are not compatable. I can either pickup a Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 fisheye and sell the Sigma,

or sell the fisheye dome and pick up the NX compact dome. Either way is comparable money wise.

Nikon pros-

faster

fisheye look- can be corrected post production (if I wanted to)

Sigma pro-

zoom

no post production barrel distortion fix

Thanks for your opinion!

Sell the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX lens, skip the Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 fisheye and get the Tokina 10 -17 fisheye. It is head and shoulders above most. Check the past threads on it. You will hard pressed to find anyone who has anything negative say about it.

Sell the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX lens, skip the Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 fisheye and get the Tokina 10 -17 fisheye. It is head and shoulders above most. Check the past threads on it. You will hard pressed to find anyone who has anything negative say about it.

I agree, I heard the Tokina rocks.

Too bad the right dome for the Tokina is the $1200 glass optical dome.... a bit out of my reach.

NOT TRUE. The Tokina will work fine with NX fisheye port. you will likely need a Sea & Sea SX extension ring to get the most from it.

NX Fisheye dome CAN be used with your Sigma.

You will probably need an Extension Ring 40.

IMHO 10.5 wins in IQ, 10-17 is more versatile.

I would sure like to add a 10-17, but I like the way the 10.5 mm seems to "require more" from the photographer with relation to the framing/positioning.

But again, ALL CAN be used with the NX Fisheye Dome Port.

The only problem I see in using ALL the 3 lenses under the NX Fisheye Dome, is that you will loose precious space while doing CUWA, Close-Up Wide Angles. The smaller domes let's you use their close focus capabilities better.

The NX Compact Dome Port (cheapest one) can be used in the exact same configurations as the more expensive Optical Dome Port.

They have virtually the same size. The glass one offers better image IQ due to coating, specially with regards to contrast.

I had a NX Fisheye, used the Sigma and the 10.5mm, both OK.

Upgraded to the Optical Dome Port, made of glass, both OK.

Good luck.

congrats on your S&S d80 housing, that's a great housing, you are very lucky. I had one for a while.

Like everyone said, you can definitely use all 3 lenses under the NX fisheye dome port. you'll (most likely) want the 40mm extension ring for the sigma 10-20mm.

good luck. when are you getting it in the water?

Scott

congrats on your S&S d80 housing, that's a great housing, you are very lucky. I had one for a while.

Like everyone said, you can definitely use all 3 lenses under the NX fisheye dome port. you'll (most likely) want the 40mm extension ring for the sigma 10-20mm.

good luck. when are you getting it in the water?

Scott

Thanks Scott,

I didn't get it from Mike, though he said he had a buyer lined up...

It should come early next week, so I'll order the 40mm extension soon. Hopefully it will be wet in a couple weeks tops...

I like the fact that the fisheye is larger, that'll help with the over/under shots...

NX Fisheye dome CAN be used with your Sigma.

You will probably need an Extension Ring 40.

IMHO 10.5 wins in IQ, 10-17 is more versatile.

I would sure like to add a 10-17, but I like the way the 10.5 mm seems to "require more" from the photographer with relation to the framing/positioning.

But again, ALL CAN be used with the NX Fisheye Dome Port.

The only problem I see in using ALL the 3 lenses under the NX Fisheye Dome, is that you will loose precious space while doing CUWA, Close-Up Wide Angles. The smaller domes let's you use their close focus capabilities better.

The NX Compact Dome Port (cheapest one) can be used in the exact same configurations as the more expensive Optical Dome Port.

They have virtually the same size. The glass one offers better image IQ due to coating, specially with regards to contrast.

I had a NX Fisheye, used the Sigma and the 10.5mm, both OK.

Upgraded to the Optical Dome Port, made of glass, both OK.

Good luck.

I'll assume this is the extension ring I''l need for my sigma...??

photo

Extension Ring 40

(Product No.56111)

• Dimensions (DIAxD): 135x56.5mm / 5.4x2.3inch

• Weight: Approx. 345g / 12.1oz

• Construction: Corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy (alumite coating)

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!!

Extension Ring 40

(Product No.56111)

• Dimensions (DIAxD): 135x56.5mm / 5.4x2.3inch

• Weight: Approx. 345g / 12.1oz

• Construction: Corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy (alumite coating)

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!!

Thats the guy.

Good Luck...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements