Tjsnapper

Uk Diving Photos

I found one down there and another around at studland. 2 in 2 dives. have no photographic evidence though. I didnt even know we had them in our waters. i was amazed when i see the first one and dragged louise over to have a look.

Has all the rough surge gone from swanage yet Tristan, i might be down there at the weekend if i can get time out of the office.

Stew

Cool

Yeah, it wasn't too bad yesterday, you were lucky with the seahorses :D let me know when you are going down :)

Tristan

Nice to see more "cold water" pictures. looks like there is more color in the UK waters than there is in my home waters in the Netherlands

Bas

I managed to get into the water for the first time in ages yesterday and had the chance to test out my 110 Alphas. I was using a 5D in aquatica housing with 100mm macro lens. The viz was about 3 meters and the temperature a balmy 18-20 degrees so off with the drysuit and on with the 5mm :D

I would appreciate any comments that you have both positive and negative, (I have thick skin), as I haven't been in the water with a camera on a proper "camera dive" since January.

It was also the first dive in the UK in summer time so I was really pleased with the number of fish. I had not seen any of the below species before so was like a kid in a candy shop :)

post-22266-1246782272.jpg

Tompot Blenny

post-22266-1246782335.jpg

Long Spined Scorpion Fish

post-22266-1246782232.jpg

Black Faced Blenny

post-22266-1246782320.jpg

Candy Stripe Flat Worm

post-22266-1246782310.jpg

Candy Stripe Flat Worm

post-22266-1246782343.jpg

Sea lice? Not really for criticism but I thought it was interesting , sadly the fish was in a hurry so only got the one frame :(

Any way your comments would be appreciated and if any of you fancy a paddle in Swanage area, please let me know :crazy:

Tristan

PS no idea on linking to images so sadly you have to click the links..... i gave up in the end and attached the images... :D

Must get better eyes.

Alex

I tried that one with Optical Express but they turned me down! :D

Hi All,

On the topic of Sea Horses, im very keen to get a couple of shots myself. My brother was diving off Swanage Pier a few weeks ago and saw one there, I think he said he was off to the left of the pier, I beleive there is a small patch of sea grass around there and that was where he saw it.

Hopeing to get there myself with him some time soon although he works weekends and I work during the week so timing is difficult. He has said the vis is probably the best its been for a while there at the moment, as he is local and dives there fairly regularly with his club!

Mark

Hi All,

On the topic of Sea Horses, im very keen to get a couple of shots myself. My brother was diving off Swanage Pier a few weeks ago and saw one there, I think he said he was off to the left of the pier, I beleive there is a small patch of sea grass around there and that was where he saw it.

Hopeing to get there myself with him some time soon although he works weekends and I work during the week so timing is difficult. He has said the vis is probably the best its been for a while there at the moment, as he is local and dives there fairly regularly with his club!

Mark

Now you tell me that when i am about to leave the country for 2 weeks...... :D

I have received a reply from Natural England regarding the photographing of seahorses:

In April 2008 all seahorse species which normally occur in our coastal waters received full protection under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended).

This protection means that it is an offence to intentionally or recklessly disturb any seahorse. Photography and filming of seahorses is likely to cause disturbance particularly if a flash is used and would constitute an offence. Natural England can issue licences which allow the disturbance of seahorses but will normally only issue such licences if there is a conservation, educational or scientific benefit.

A licence is not required if the photography does not cause any disturbance to the seahorses. This could possibly be achieved if the photos are taken without a flash and are taken for only a few seconds ideally taking just one quick image. Subsequent returns to the specific location which are known to contain seahorses is likely to cause disturbance.

In certain circumstances the photography may cause no additional disturbance, for example, if you accidentally caught a seahorse in a crab pot and photographed it this would not be an offence providing no additional disturbance was caused by the photography and every effort was made to re-release the seahorse as soon as practical"

Sponsors

Advertisements