Sign in to follow this  
davephdv

Little Cayman

Going to Little Cayman next week.

Have two questions.

First I'm wondering about the flight from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman. Specifically how much problem am I going to have getting my camera gear to Little Cayman? I figure I will have to pay but I'm wondering about my second bag getting to Little Cayman. Will it make the plane on the same flight as me? Also on the return trip. If my second bag doesn't make the plane how do I get it on Delta airlines?

Secondary question. What is the current water temperature in Little Cayman?

Thanks.

Hi Dave,

CA flies a twin otter to LC. They fit on as much as they can w/ you but it isn't much. The plane just keep flying all day bringing excess baggage. I think they may give "preference" to scuba kit first so that you'll at least get your gear so you can go diving, and follow up w/ the camera gear later.

On my trip last year, my dive kit made it over the first afternoon and my Storm case the next morning. I think I paid around $30-50 in overage.

On the way back, we arranged it so we'd take the Otter in the morning and fly out about 5 hours later back to the mainland. All our bags made it.

Cheers

James

Dave,

Carry your camera gear to the Otter, they will take it from you (be sure to tell the handler that the bag contains cameras) and put it into the cargo hole and you can retrieve it with the rest of the luggage upon your arrival in LC. Also you should know that upon arrival in GC you will have to collect your checked bags, then recheck them as you check-in to CA. CA will weigh all your bags including your carry-on, you are limited to 15 lbs carry-on and 50 lbs for checked baggage. CA will charge you for extra weight. On your way back you may be asked to ship your checked bags the evening before you depart so they make your connection in GC.

When I was there in late May the water temp was 82 degrees, it is probably 84 now.

Elmer

"Give preference to scuba gear over camera gear"? How the heck do you dive without a camera? After your mask is not your camera and housing the second most important piece of dive gear?

Going to Little Cayman next week.

Have two questions.

First I'm wondering about the flight from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman. Specifically how much problem am I going to have getting my camera gear to Little Cayman? I figure I will have to pay but I'm wondering about my second bag getting to Little Cayman. Will it make the plane on the same flight as me? Also on the return trip. If my second bag doesn't make the plane how do I get it on Delta airlines?

Secondary question. What is the current water temperature in Little Cayman?

Thanks.

When I flew from GC to LC this past May, I carried my video rig with me as a carry-on. They will usually take it from you when you walk out to the twin otter and put it in the luggage compartment. But I will warn you, I have seen it where even though they take it from you and they sit it right by the plane, that is no guarantee that it will be put on that flight. I know of one guy who will stand there and watch to make sure it is put in the luggage hole. A few dollars tip to the guy out by the plane might not be a bad thing to make sure it gets on.

Another piece of advice. If you are traveling with a spouse, you may want to pack part of your clothes in each others suitcase. When we arrived in LC, only one of 4 checked bags made it. My luggage and both sets of dive gear did not arrive until the next morning. My wifes luggage made it OK. We were on a later flight to LC with only one more flight after ours and like I said, the rest of our stuff didn't show up until the next day, but it did arrive on that first flight the next morning. The dive boat did wait for us and no one missed any diving so that was a good thing.

If you are staying at LCBR, they ask that you pack at least a few pieces of luggage to send over to GC the afternoon before you leave. When we arrived at GC, it was all there waiting for us so we had no problem at that point getting it to our next flight.

Edited by BDSC

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements