Sign in to follow this  
mschiff

Tokina 10-17 - macro in a pinch

OK, so you're shooting W/A, and you come across a macro subject that you just can't live without. If you're using the Tokina 10-17 (mine was on a Canon 350D in an Ikelite housing with a Substrobe DS125), you just get the dome port in close and...

original.jpg

-- Martin

PS I believe that may be the first sea horse I've seen in 40 years of diving!

Well done Martin! And it puts it nicely into a setting. If you can set up your system with a Kenko 1.4 TC too you can get even better

Come on over to KBR - we can show you lots of sea horses! Why wait another 40 years for the next? :nea:

Thanks Tim. I was just telling my wife on the way home from this dive trip that I'd like to dive Indonesia. ;-)

-- Martin

Well done Martin! And it puts it nicely into a setting. If you can set up your system with a Kenko 1.4 TC too you can get even better

Come on over to KBR - we can show you lots of sea horses! Why wait another 40 years for the next? :nea:

Same lens, same thing happened to me (except for the part about 40 years) :nea:

3698216818_64d78e38c2_o.jpg

Very nice! Looks like the same variety of seahorse too!

-- Martin

Tim,

When you use the Kenko 1.4, does the lens act like a 14-24 zoom with w/a capabilities, or are you limited in the focus to close stuff?

I've already got a Canon 1.4, shame that wouldn't work.

-- Martin

Isn't that the same seahorse? Ernie?

Using the Kenko 1.4 increases the magnification of the lens by a factor of 1.4 and leaves the close focussing of the Tokina 10-17 the same. You can pretty much get Ernie the Seahorse pinned up against the port (not that I would recommend that at all) but still have a wide-angle view. It puts subjects beautifully into their surrounds. I reckon it works best when the background is attractive especially if you can shoot upwards to get some blue water into the frame. Subject s need to be a bit bigger - I'd suggest about 6" and upwards otherwise they are too small to have impact in the foreground.

Its well worth playing around with. I think Alex M did an article about it some months ago.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements