Sign in to follow this  
Simon K.

Red Sea (El Gouna) - 1st Batch (Dolphins)

Hi,

yesterday I came back from a week diving in the northern Red Sea (El Gouna). Thanks to your help my I could repair my strobe in time and it worked great. I had a great time.

Unfortunaly I flooded my S40 on the last dive. Only 2 teaspoons of water came into the housing but the camera is out of order. I hope it is repairable. Luckily my brand new Microdrive still works well.

In my first batch I have some dolphin shots for you. Critique is very welcome.

Simon

in_bg_sk_100_0530_Delphine.jpg

Beutiful dolphins Simon :rolleyes:

I especially love the first two shots cause they are taken with the blue sea as a background. And number two displays the playfulness and grace of these animals in a great way.

The others are shot downwards which, as pointed out before on this forum, isn't a very good idea most of the time.

I still remember my first real encounter with dolphins in the Red Sea very well. We were going home after our two dives that day and suddenly someone yells "DOLPHINS". In just a few seconds almost everyone on the boat was in their free diving gear and off the boat. We then swam with them for a while. My most enjoyable moment in my life! Several ppl came up afterwards and said that "Now I can die!"

/ Patrik

The first two could be contest winners. They're really dramatic.

Very nice photography.

Simon I love that first shot, not only the deep blue, but the expression as the dolphin looks at the camera.

outstanding...

Tom

Very nice shots Simon! Any exif data available? And were you using the strobe in TTL or manual?

I feel your pain about flooding your camera :rolleyes: . Hope you had insurance. Any ideas on why it flooded?

Awesome photos Simon!

Well my favourite is the second post, showing the three in a very delicate shape together with a nice coral sand scenery. The thing I like about it is that you really feel to be inside the picture... :rolleyes:

Hi,

thanks for all your comments,

I also agree and think the first two (they are from different dives, actually the first while snorkeling when stopping on the trip back from the daily dives when meeting the dolphins, the others during a dive) are actually the best shots I made so far UW.

EXIF Data is included in the posted files. The pics are taken in "P" mode with the DS125 put into "Full" Fire.

The flooding probably came from have to jump into the water with tha camera (drift dive) and was'nt abel to get it handed in but I'm not sure if this was the reason.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Your pictures are beautiful ... I had the chance to meet dolphins in Egypt (Safaga) and that was a moment of pure emotion....

I'm sad to hear that you flooded your camera. I had the same problem in October 2002 with my S40. It was sent back to Canon and they sent me a new camera and housing 5 months later .. I'd say that you should give a try and keep the faith !!!

I had the time to think about what happened during that dive and I have to say that I still don't know what went wrong .. This only thing is that I jumped in the water with it. I did about 25 dives with the new camera and got not problem at all ... and I jumped in the water during some drift dives too ..

Once again .. congratz for your pics :rolleyes:

You lucky *&(%$££*!

Simon, these are absolutely FAN'F'TASTIC.

There are at least 3 comp winners there, and I wish you well.

Sorry about the camera flood - Physics is a bitch sometimes!

Hi Bob,

I like to hear you swearing ;-)

Which 3 do you mean? I think the first 2, but which is the 3rd?

Simon

The last one looking straight into the camera (but cropped), it has great expression and detail.

You should send these to Underwasser for consideration: May even get a cover!

I personaly don't think they are good enough, but If you say. You have to know. I don't know what their standards for digital images are. This are only 4 MP Pics and the last one is allready cropped...

But it will be worth a try.They can't do more than say no...

What is from your experience the best way to approach them if they don't know you and you don't know them?

simon

Simon,

have you thought about going to Antibes with us? Alex Mustard, Lars and me already

made an appointment. Lars and I will try our luck this year. Also we applied with

digideep.com to the website competition. :rolleyes:

Best regards, Andi

andi:

I allready submited one to Digideep for next week.

I'm thinking about Antibes. When is the Submission Deadline and how long you have to calculate for sending in your pics by post?

Simon

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements