Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Phillips

First live aboard trip - advice needed

I am headed on my first live aboard trip to Cay Sal and thought I would tap the knowledge base of Wetpixel. Any items I should pack, or put another way - anything you wish you had packed on your first live aboard? Any other advice you can think of? Thanks in advance.

If pictures are high priority, spare everything electronic. If something breaks or floods on a boat you probably won't find a replacement part. Maybe but I wouldn't count on it. I also take some spare dive gear (which isn't as important) like reg, mask & set of hoses. Chances are the boat will have extra equipment, but I just prefer my own stuff. Have a great trip.

Edited by jcclink

How are you getting there? If flying i'd make sure you have enough of your photo gear in your carry-ons to cover one full setup. You can always rent dive gear, but what do you do if you sync cord doesn't make it? The chances of borrowing/renting that are slim.

I also jam as much of my spare electronics in my carry-ons as well.

Other things to consider:

Spare o-rings/grease

Warm clothing (you'd be surprised how chilly it can be after a long day of diving)

Tool kit (to handle both photo and dive gear)

Extra memory (either cards or some type of external storage)

That's all I can think of right now. Enjoy your trip.

aside from the redundant gear, I bring a pair of drive backup systems to copy my cards onto- if one fails, the other is a safety. Small allen wrenches for your housing are a necesity as well just in case anything rattles loose on the plane, especially the small metric ones! Assemble all of your gear (and take test shots) prior to leaving to make sure you aren't forgetting anything- once I travelled all the way to Fiji with a lens that didnt have the correct extension port for it. I said some very bad words when I arrived.

Assemble all of your gear (and take test shots) prior to leaving to make sure you aren't forgetting anything- once I travelled all the way to Fiji with a lens that didnt have the correct extension port for it.

I'll second that excellent suggestion. About the time you gather all your photography gear without actually assembling it all, you can easily overlook items such as screws that hold the handles on the housing, dome port extension, etc.

Hi Jeff,

I don't know what housing you use, but in my own case, I wished I brought a strap wrench. On my Subal housing, the port can sometimes be very difficult to remove from the housing. As it happened, a very knowledgeable friend was able to get the port off the housing. On my next trip, I bought a strap wrench and took it with me in case I needed it. It didn't cost much and certainly didn't weigh much. Even if you don't need it, there may well be others on the boat who would be very happy that you brought it so it could be used on their own system.

My two cents,

Ellen

Thanks everyone for the help! I had a feeling it would be a good idea to tap into the knowledge base of Wetpixel - and it was. I hope this was not my only SAGA (semi annual good idea...). Just fyi - I use an Aquatica case around a D300 and I will be driving down to Lauderdale. The days are ticking by slowly now - I leave on August 22nd. I'm guessing the days will go by quickly once on board. I have added some tools, CF cards, an external HD and a rebuild kit for the housing (o-rings & greese). Hopefully I will be able to post some good shots from the trip. Thanks gain for the help...

Jeff Phillips

Edited by Jeff Phillips

Jeff,

Besides your camera gear, you should also take some meds for sea sickness, like a scopolamine patch.

You never know,

Elmer

Edited by eyu

Bring a windbreaker or possibly warmer jacket. It always seems to get cold or rainy on the ocean.

Fly into your departure port a full day before the boat leaves. Gives your gear, and yourself, an extra day to get there.

Carryon the minimum that will allow you to shoot. Everything else can be borrowed or rented. If necessary wear on the plane your dive computer. Don't forget your chargers.

If any chance you could get seasick bring meds.

Cards are so cheap you can bring enough to not have to copy them. Do bring a small external HD. Don't worry about how to copy to it. If all your gear doesn't make it the boat or someone else can lend you a computer or gear to copy to the HD.

I like to carryon my mask.

Don't worry about clothes.

Clothes? People take extra clothes on a dive trip? Surely not!?!??!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements