Alex_Mustard

POLL: Strobe arm mounting point

Strobe mouting  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you usually mount your strobe arms onto your housing or the handles?

• On housing
    • On handles

I am curious as to what proportion of people mount their strobes arms on their housing handles, and what proportion mount them onto the handles of the housing?

[EDIT] - Should read I am curious as to what proportion of people mount their strobes arms on their housing handles, and what proportion mount them onto strobe mounting points on the housing?

Alex,

On the housing, it's a Subal ND30 and the strobe arm mounts are in the position I want.

I owned a Subal for the Nikon D70s with only one housing strobe mount so to use twin strobes I mounted them on the hanles and found them easier to position for portrait format lighting with only two arm segments.

Out of the water I was always afraid of breaking the handles as the weight of the S&S YS120's I was using at the time was substantial.

Hope this helps.

Nige Wade

There's no choice for both. :)

I've got a Subal C40 for my 40D/50D. I used to mount the strobes on the housing all the time but now I've started to mount them on the handles (I replaced the standard Subal handles with ULCS handles a long time ago). Just recently I've added a third strobe for wide angle work and I mount my Z240's on the handles and the tiny S2000 on the housing.

I've had experiences both ways - Aquatic, Nexus, Seacam, Subal. If the handles are sturdy enough, they are fine there. If not, on the housing. The main point is the arm configuration is such to allow strobe placement where you want it, when you want it. One of my big gripes with camera housing designs is the ergonomics of the handles. Sea & Sea and Nexus are good, Aquatica's are better. Seacam and Subal, what the hell are you thinking?

Edited by Walt Stearns

I am curious as to what proportion of people mount their strobes arms on their housing handles, and what proportion mount them onto the handles of the housing?

Did you read this through before posting? What's the difference between housing handles and handles of the housing. I think I know what you meant: Housing mountings. On the Hugyfot I use one of each.

Edited by John Bantin

Thanks for the replies, all. And thanks John for reading my post more carefully than I did! I'll alter it.

Alex

I changed to UCLS handles on my Subal rig so I could adjust the handles and particularly the right handle to allow me to control shutter speed, aperture and shutter release without moving my hand. I also found the UCLS clamps to the housing tended to rock loose a little during the dive. Now if I want to reposition astrobe off the camera, I carry a small Inon D2000 in my BC.

One strobe/arm assembly on each handle. If there was ever a mechanical failure, I'd much rather repair/replace a handle than the housing.

Having an Ikelite housing I an limited to the arms for an attachment point, but as some others have mentioned, I think I would opt for that any way for a few reasons.

1) I'd say on average you would gain about 6" in width.

2) Stress from the arms goes into the handle/tray and not directly to the housing.

3) Keeps the intimidate area of the housing cleaner for adjusting knobs and buttons.

[EDIT] - Should read I am curious as to what proportion of people mount their strobes arms on their housing handles, and what proportion mount them onto strobe mounting points on the housing?

I mount uls adaptors to the top of the Nexus handles; very secure. I would need a tray to mount to the housing. Speaking of trays, to you remember the rotating trays for the Nikons cameras? The strobes (arms) are mounted to the ends of the trays. Switching from landscape to portrait or visa versa, required less repositioning to the strobes.

Bob

I much prefer the original version, it's the kind of thing a French philosophe might ask....

:)

... and how many angelfish can dance on a sea-urchin's spine?

Tim

HI,

I mount my strobe arms on my housing what I have got now are smaller arms in lenght which does

seem to give me more flexibility, when using short stubby mounts.

Andy :):):)

With my Seacam housings, I replaced the stock handles with UCLS removable handles with balls on top. Not that I remove them to hold a strobe away from the rig very often, but it's nice to have the option. My Aquatica housing has easy-to-mount-balls atop handles, so I use those (although not removable like the UCLS ones).

Neither I mount my focus light on the handle that is on the left side of my tray. I have only one strobe so I mount it on an arm that connects to the right side of the tray via a ball.

Edited by allen

Why do you ask?

S&S D200 housing

I mount strobes on handles, and focus light on the housing.

Brant

"Why do you ask?" Ditto!

Having an Ikelite housing I an limited to the arms for an attachment point, but as some others have mentioned, I think I would opt for that any way for a few reasons.

1) I'd say on average you would gain about 6" in width.

2) Stress from the arms goes into the handle/tray and not directly to the housing.

3) Keeps the intimidate area of the housing cleaner for adjusting knobs and buttons.

Ditto... also Ikelite.

I've had experiences both ways - Aquatic, Nexus, Seacam, Subal. If the handles are sturdy enough, they are fine there. If not, on the housing. The main point is the arm configuration is such to allow strobe placement where you want it, when you want it. One of my big gripes with camera housing designs is the ergonomics of the handles. Sea & Sea and Nexus are good, Aquatica's are better. Seacam and Subal, what the hell are you thinking?

Seacam handles work well for me (both with and without gloves). The outside curvature is particularly comfortable (fit in my palms). I have not used Aquatica style grips. The strobe mounting on the Seacam housing body, BTW which is on a thickened metal base, dictated my vote in the poll. I suppose one could attach a large tray to the bottom of the housing and add strobes ala Nikonos.

Too wide a set-up, however, is problematic for verticals. BTW, there is a rotating tray for Subal film housings from ULCS. This may be problematic for dSLRs because of the need to see the back. :B):

I have been mounting strobes on handles since the Nikonos when it was on a ULCS tray. Kept doing that (and adding more clamps and arms along the way) and currently shoot that way on my Aquatica. I do have a ball adaptor that goes on top which I put a Hartenberger light sometimes.

On the housing-if I use a focus light, it goes on the middle

I do find the Subal ULCS clamps seem to work loose though

Adam

Sponsors

Advertisements