Hi,

I would like to create a strip of gear teeth, so that i can build up focus/zoom rings.

I will model this strip in 3D and then have the gears cnc, but what is the best way to work out the spacing and angle of the gear wheel in my housing into which the once i want to make must turn?

Thanks

Geo

Hi,

I would like to create a strip of gear teeth, so that i can build up focus/zoom rings.

I will model this strip in 3D and then have the gears cnc, but what is the best way to work out the spacing and angle of the gear wheel in my housing into which the once i want to make must turn?

Thanks

Geo

One simple way is to simply remove the gear from the housing and trace (or measure) the spacing. The pitch is probably all you really need, not the shape of the teeth. If you measure the diameter and count the teeth you will be very close.

Bill

Can be quite a complex subject.

Don't want to appear sad but try :-

Gears and Gear Cutting by Ivan Law

isbn-13 978-0852429112

On a related subject if you ever screw cut in a lathe then you may want

Screw-cutting in the lathe by Martin Cleeve

ISBN-13: 978-0852428382

My copy in the workshop is so dog eared that I purchased another for 'clean' use.

Both of the above are cheap ($10) books.

<SAD MODE = OFF>

Paul C

Thanks all for the feedback so far.

Stephin, your post is what got me this far;) I have tried the vlecro option, but the "friction" is not enough and my lens does not turn/zoom. Therefore i am looking at this option.

I make my own gears for a Sea&Sea housing. I went to a vacuum dealer and bought a small 'toothed' belt (I think he said that it was for a handheld Dust Devil). It works great. The teeth don't line up perfedtly but since the teeth are flexible, it's easy for them to jump a tooth with no damage. Below is one ring I made from PVC pipe with a belt as a gear

ring.JPG

Ben

Thanks a great option Ben. An all new search is starting for me:)

Ben - that's a really slick idea! (or high-friction, I guess.... :drink: )

Sponsors

Advertisements