KirkD

Cleaning an Acrylic Dome Port

I did a search on cleaning an Acrylic dome port, but just come up with advice on removing scatches.

What are you using to clean the dome ports? I think I remember someone telling me Mirror Glaze #17. I just don't want to ruin my new dome.

Thanks

I have already read that post. It is a discussion of removing scratches, but I merely want to know about cleaning the acrylic.

kirk

Hmm, I guess this would depend on what and where. For general loose crude (not sticky or oily), I use a microfiber cloth on the inside of the dome. The cloth "over comes" that nasty static clean. Fresh water with a drop of detergent and a soft cloth or imitation chamois works for the outside of the dome. The microfiber cloth will remove light water spots.

Bob

I use "PuroSol" (WWW.purosol com)

It works, but I can't really say if it is any better than any commerical lens cleaner.

OTOH it's more expensive, therefor it must be better. !

I am a dentist, and we make lots of things out of acrylic. So, I took mine over to my dental lab and used the stuff they use to polish acrylic, which is basically fine pumice, water, and a lathe. the pumic slurry is put on a cloth wheel on the lathe, and the lathe spins. If you decide to ask your dentist or a dental lab to do this, be very careful with the lathe. don't let the wheel remain in one place at all or it will gouge the acrylic. This can be repaired with clear acrylic, but it's no fun. When this is done correctly, it looks great!!!!!!!!!!! wish i could do it in the inside of the dome. Not only does this clean it, it also removes scratches. If you don't want to go the route of the lathe, use pumice slurry, and toothbrush, and elbow grease. The lathe really kicks butt though.

Sponsors

Advertisements