keiban

Head Mount Video?

Hi All,

I was wondering about making a mini-housing for an small HD camcorder with a fish eye lens, to take point of view video, mounted in a helmet. I only saw pow cams in diving helmets used by working divers, but not self contained camcorders. The housing can be like a canister light, 3 or 4 inches wide and 6 inches long, not too big, and shouldn't be too cumbersome to use, or not?

The idea is to use it when I don't want to carry a big housing with arms, lights, etc, or want to have the hands free, or for technical dives, or caves or wrecks...

I would like to hear your opinions about it.

Thanks,

Gustavo

I think the Xacti with Epoque housings are pretty decent and small enough. Although I'm not sure how you are going to mount it on your head.

my idea is to make a basic housing, just a tube with the camera inside, no controls, only start/stop...

Thanks.

I think the Xacti with Epoque housings are pretty decent and small enough. Although I'm not sure how you are going to mount it on your head.

google gopro hero 5

i have a hero 3, its a gimmick but its handy too.

I have a friend who has done this and the result is very professional. But he has access to a range of precision machines! The concept is pretty basic, in as much as you switch it on before the dive & off once back on board but thats where the editing comes in! His unit is mounted on a helmet so he just films what he sees.

Here's a picture I took this weekend of him using it:

3729690922_803652e703.jpg

I got a product release on this a few months ago.

Sony HXRMC1P HIGH DEFINITION POV CAMERA

This two-piece digital still and motion picture acquisition system is easy to use, featuring a small full HD 1080i camera interconnected to a handheld control/recording unit with LCD panel.

· Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar 10x zoom lens

· 1/5” Exmor CMOS sensor with ClearVid pixel layout

· Full 1920x1080 MPEG-4 AVCHD recording

· Includes everything needed for shooting, monitoring, control & playback

· Amazingly small, approx. 580g complete

· Splash-proof camera head design

· Up to 355 minutes of HD recording to 16GB Memory Stock Duo

· Up to 6 hours continuous recording with battery power

image007.jpg

image001.png

image002.jpg

yes, thats the idea, small camera on the head, turn it on before going down and thats it. With the memory card cameras is easy to dump the footage in the laptop and cut the unwanted pieces of the video. If your friend don't mind would be nice to see more pictures of the set up, to see how is mounted, etc.

The MC1 is nice when you want to control the shootting, frame, zoom, start/stop, etc, but the 10 foot cable is a pain. I like better all in one piece. Already have the Sony CX100 for skydiving use, which is an HD memory stick camcorder, and is just a little bigger than the MC1 head.

The GoPro and the like are low resolution, and I want big screen viewing pleasure! :B):

Thanks for all the answers,

Gustavo

Sponsors

Advertisements