Sign in to follow this  
Splint

YS-120 TTL Duo use one or two?

Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy two Sea and Sea YS-120 TTL Duo strobes but I'm very inexperienced and don't know how much of an advantage there is in having two. The YS-120 TTL Duo has a 5100 Kelvin color temp and 105 by 105 degree coverage. I'm only using a compact camera (Nikon Coolpix 5900) and mainly want to overcome the issue of the housing restricting part of the existing flash coverage. I suspect one of these strobes would be fine but I thought I might ask an expert for their opinion.

Thanks

David

I'm no expert, but there are some obvious advantages of 2 strobes:

- 2 strobes give you more light than 1 strobe - useful in wider shots becuase you get a wider coverage

- with only 1 strobe you can get harsh shadows (especially in macro). Having 2 strobes helps to even out the light.

Thanks for the info.

David:

Two strobes can do a lot more than even out the light. A lot of the creative lighting that you see in underwater photography is judicious use of different powers on each of the strobes. Shadows convey depth of field and texture quite well and shadowing and directional light can really be optimized with two strobes. Of course in my case this is a theoretical point of view, most of my interesting pictures happen when something stops working.

Bill

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements