Drew

New 3D tracking software is the software Steadycam

Based on the open source Voodoo Camera Tracker by Digi Labs in Hannover, Adobe and University of Wisconsin are developing a new image stabilization software that is unlike anything in the market so far. The popular Deshaker, Final Cut Pro's Smooth and other stabilizing software are based on 2D motion, which isn't always accurate. The current champion, Shake's Smooth Cam node is also 2D based but adds rotation to the mix and is considered to be the best scene stabilizer there is... until this ...:

Here is the paper on the development:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~fliu/project/3dstab.htm

There are still some issues which include the zoom factor which means loss of resolution and sharpness. But with Shake you are able to hold resolution up to 15% zoom. I imagine they will come up with something better. Best of all, it'll be designed to handle CMOS skew! Stay tuned at SigGraph in New Orleans.

:D

Nice one Drew

Dive safe

DeanB

. I imagine they will come up with something better. Best of all, it'll be designed to handle CMOS skew! Stay tuned at SigGraph in New Orleans.

Very impressive, and the CMOS skew looked pretty darn good. That goes onto my software wish list....

Very impressive, and the CMOS skew looked pretty darn good. That goes onto my software wish list....

Absolutely. Smoothcam in FCP/Motion (never used the Shake variant) is pants at dealing with footage from CMOS sensors. It works ok 'most' of the time, but the odd occasion it can make a slight bump look like the screen has turned into a big bowl of jelly. This looks great.

Cheers, Simon

That looks great! Cant wait to learn more about it.

Thanks Drew!

That clip explained the problems I have stabilizing the 5D shots with Mercalli.

BTW. Mercalli plans to release a V2 in 2010 wich can deal with the rolling shutter issue

of CMOS based cameras. We will see...

Until then: Tripod ;-)

Based on the open source Voodoo Camera Tracker by Digi Labs in Hannover, Adobe and University of Wisconsin are developing a new image stabilization software that is unlike anything in the market so far. The popular Deshaker, Final Cut Pro's Smooth and other stabilizing software are based on 2D motion, which isn't always accurate. The current champion, Shake's Smooth Cam node is also 2D based but adds rotation to the mix and is considered to be the best scene stabilizer there is... until this ...:

Here is the paper on the development:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~fliu/project/3dstab.htm

There are still some issues which include the zoom factor which means loss of resolution and sharpness. But with Shake you are able to hold resolution up to 15% zoom. I imagine they will come up with something better. Best of all, it'll be designed to handle CMOS skew! Stay tuned at SigGraph in New Orleans.

So isn't the amount of zoom required proportional to the amount of shake, wobble, and variation in rate of track? Because they're doing more correction, it's higher than 2D correction, but the more your raw input looks like the tracking shot they're making it into, wouldn't there be less perimeter that gets thrown away because it isn't there, frame to frame? Their examples are pretty dramatically in need of help, and more help requires more zoom (and discard of perimeter pixels), right?

--Richard

Yup, shake is shake and you will loose resolution if you shake a lot. It's not a miracle software. With video hitting 2k and beyond for sensors, I think we'll see higher resolution sensors covering up shakey work more and more in conjunction with incamera image stabilization.

At NAB the big talk was of the upcoming 4K cams other than the Red. The only problem is that, to the best of my knowledge, we don't have 4k capable monitors.

Steve

Sponsors

Advertisements