Sign in to follow this  
Drew

No Impact Man: the ultimate eco documentary

No Impact Man Colin Beaven is writing a book about reducing the environmental impact of existence (I think John Bantin will get a laugh out of this) and thus began a year long experiment to have radically reduce he and his family's footprint on the planet. The documentary follows the Beaven family's trials and tribulations to become super green. It's a hilarious movie and depicts the difficulties we all face when making choices that affect our lives for the betterment of the planet. Great food for thought!

http://www.noimpactman.com/

Trailer:

PS as an aside: My neighbor in LA has almost zero trash as his compost/earthworm drums deal with all biological waste (well he uses mine when his are full) and he doesn't buy anything with plastic anymore.

Seems interesting. Atleast it just now reminded me to turn off my TV while browsing through WP :D

Could be worse... you could be using your fridge as your ac on while watching TV with the stereo on, computer on and the car is running. :D

I think we should just get the point which is that it is possible to cut down consumption of many things etc.

I think we should just get the point which is that it is possible to cut down consumption of many things etc.

I'm with you. I'll start heading to Raja tomorrow by walking to LA and then getting on a row boat. Must hurry if I want to get there on time. I keep wondering if a personal reduction in consumption (carbon or otherwise) needs to be in absolute terms or relative terms. E.g. if John Travolta only flies his personal 707 around half as much as last year, is he a eco-hero versus the immigrant who makes it to America, gets a job and finally buys his first car.

I am aware that the first US President to tell his people to turn off their AC or their heating will be impeached immediately (or worse!).

I simply believe that we should put up our hands and admit that we are ALL part of the problem.

For example: It's no good being appalled at shark-fining if it is us that have pushed up the price that sharkfins are worth in the marketplace by buying cheap goods and fueling the unprecedented industrial revolution of those that want to eat sharkfin soup.

I am as bad as anyone.

I am aware that the first US President to tell his people to turn off their AC or their heating will be impeached immediately (or worse!).

Naaaaa...Barack already told us to pump up our tires.

Wonder what the sequel will be.????.................'High Impact Diver' perhaps????

We could get WetPixel to sponser filming....

Drew could be principle cameraman- and John Bantin in the lead role as the horseman of the apocalypse...

Me? I can be the two bit support act....strobing the living crap out of everything that comes within a 10 yard radius of my DS-125.

:D

ps. Incidentally-just to say- I have just consumed a rather large curry and one pint-and my colon is coughing large volumes of green house gas into the air as I write....

Sure, just make sure the boat is made from fallen trees. You can sail, it's allowed. :D

I don't know why we have to look to the celebs/higher profile people to do so we can follow. I mean if Cameron Diaz rides to her private jet in her Prius, does that make her hero or a hypocrite? In fact, most everyone is a hypocrite if we compare ourselves to a Khoi or Sans bushman in the Kalahari for carbon or any kind of footprint except sand. However, if it is possible to offset with solar powered homes, investment in hydrodams etc, the footprint does get significantly smaller. Walking/bicycling/skateboarding/rollerblading to places helps too.

The movie is a commentary about our modern lives and how we live it. The guy lost 25 lbs, his wife reversed her diabetes all through exercise and good dieting, without hitting a treadmill or gym. If the choices he made for food was fully sustainable and organic etc, I think he's set a good standard.

Afterall, if Lovelock is right and it's pass the tipping point, do we then stop any efforts and just enjoy ourselves?

John, I follow your reasoning but fail to see the logic? So if I have anything asian in my possession I don't have the right to fight shark finning? I do think that the no strobe thread has shown that people don't like to be told what to do, especially when it doesn't make sense to them. That's why there's nationalism when the anti-whaling brigade strikes etc. However, the science now proves that sharks are dwindling (well according to the Australians, gummy shark fishery is still ok) in numbers. It's no longer enough to convince the general asian population to stop consuming fins (or the fishing fleets of europe to stop catching sharks for fish n chips). The real way to stop is to have legislation and have it enforced world wide.

However, if climate change is being accelerated so fast that species cannot adjust, then we're screwed anyways. ;)

Some of us call it "Intentional Living". It's where one thinks (hopefully before acting) about the downstream impact of everyday decisions around consumption. There are many little things to do that can really add up en masse. Not to mention that intentional living results in a smaller CO2 footprint AND saves money. One thing I was suprised to learn is that styrofoam cups are actually "greener" than compostable paper cups, but only in my type of city where trash is burned for energy.

I'm with you. I'll start heading to Raja tomorrow by walking to LA and then getting on a row boat.

You could always go by blimp as long as the wind is blowing the right way. :D

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements