Sign in to follow this  
gavinparsons

Sea&Sea YS110 flooding problem

I have a couple of S&S YS110s, but one keeps flooding in the battery compartment. It's never too much water, but enough to destroy a battery or two. The unit is sealed so still works after being cleaned, but it is getting annoying. I have changed the battery compartment cap, but again it flooded. It doesn't do it every dive either. And the other gun has never flooded

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Also the contacts are getting soiled with battery gunk and I'd like to get in there to clean them properly. Has anyone attempted this and is there a service manual anywhere that shows how to dismantle and reassemble the unit again? I'm not a novice at this sort of thing. I've taken cameras and lenses apart and reassembled them for several years, but I could do with the diagram or set of instructions to know what to do.

Thanks

One of my YS-110s is similar: I had a rechargeable battery leak inside one of them and it corroded the metal bits. Still works, but for a while I thought it was toast. I cleaned the corroded metal with a gritty eraser (one of those that used to be used to erase ink). Not all of it was removed, but it still works. Also, I've found that just that one of my two strobes needs the o-ring lubed a lot more often than the other. Do you have trouble getting the cap on the battery compartment? If so, try lubing the o-ring a bit, then the cap should go on with no effort.

Strange - Im assuming its an o ring problem but its strange it has done this with two different caps. Did you get a fresh O ring with the new cap? Have you ever used a non sea and sea approved silicone grease on your blue o rings?

To get access to the internal strobe components you can undo the screws that sit under the grey plastic tabs on the outside of the unit (they just pop off). Of course be careful doing this as it will void any remaining warranty you might have, and I dont think it will give you any better access to the battery well of the unit.

I have a broken strobe that wont fire (see my previous post in this section) that has good connections (no previous battery leaks or floods). I wonder if I could salvage you a spare part?

I've changed the O-ring several times and I always regrease each time the back is opened. I am very careful and as I say it's just that one strobe unit. Its out of warranty now anyway, but its just a bit annoying. The cap also starts to corrode and I will need a replacement soon too. Maybe it'll be third time lucky.

Yes I've seen the screws under the tabs. And you are right the battery compartment is no easy to get to. I'll take on Natalie's comment about the eraser to clean the contacts.

Thanks for the offer of the spare parts, I may look out for one here in the UK first, but if not I shall drop you a line.

I've changed the O-ring several times and I always regrease each time the back is opened. I

What type of silicone grease are you using ?

If you're going to take the strobe apart, please be very careful. If underwater strobes are anything like the studio strobes I use at home, they are dangerous to be taken apart by someone not familiar with how they work. I could be way off base, but those are my 2 cents.

What kind of batteries are you using? Have you tried using a different battery type? I thought I read a post here recently about someone using bulk rechargeables that were of slightly different heights, which made me wonder about your situation. I use Eneloops and have had no problems with them, however I once used Energizer rechargeables and they are the ones that leaked, so I stick with just the Eneloops now.

Since you've changed battery caps & o-rings & it still leaks, then maybe a small scratch on the inner surface of the housing? I've changed all my S&S blue o-rings to buna (the black ones) - easier for me to keep clean. The size is JIS G-35 if you can find one.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements