adamhanlon

Strobe position in portait frame

Hi all,

I am wondering how people position their strobes when using their cameras in portrait orientation.

I have experimented, and have found that keeping the strobes in the original landscape postions seems to make little difference (for wide angle anyway)

So, do others change their strobe positions?

Sorry if this is a re-post-I did search and couldn't find anything.

Adam

for even lighting 10 and 2 oclock will work best in both landscape and portrait position.

Hi Mike,

I've found that 10 and 12 o'clock tends to produce a hot spot on WA-I think this is due to the Subal dome not having any shade in those areas. I tend to put the strobes well back, but even then, I can get some hot spots. My normal (landscape) WA position is quarter to and quarter past, with the strobes on 12" arms, with the strobes behind the port and pointing out (away) from the port.

On macro, I use shorter arms, and slot the strobes in behind the macro port, pointing slightly out again. I have never tried 10 and 12 with macro where there is "shading" all round the port, but will now-thanks.

Adam

Hi Adam,

what do you mean when you say "normal WA position is quarter to and quarter past"? thanks

Hi,

Sorry! What I mean is that I normally have my strobes (in landscape orientation) essentially at right angles to the picture-as if at quarter to the hour and quarter past the hour on a clock.

This puts them behind the shade covers on the dome-and i find it helps reduce the hot spot.

When I shoot in portrait orientation, I tend not to move the strobes-I'm interested if others are the same, or have found that they get better results by moving them.

Best

Adam

Sponsors

Advertisements