just fooled around with another little trick:

youtube link

(you may need to join the WaterWorks group to view that - I'm not sure....)

the final slomo footage in there is effectively 1250fps...

I'd love to be able to work on some footage (from SouthAfrica?) of anything breaching (big and wide mouthed??) to try to work some magic into.... hopefully will be able to turn it into 2500fps footage(!!)

If anyone has any stock then if you could please donate 5 frames of it (for starters) then I promise to let onto my plans with what we'll be going on to do with it...

Ideally, I'd love to get my hands on some big, pelagic, breaching action - alternatively, something fairly fast moving (a striking frogfish or suchlike won't do) - or even some macro (maybe of a pipefish sucking in a piece of plankton, or similar?)...

I hope that this post isn't too cryptic and that you enjoy the video clip above which, by the way, has no wet stuff in it.... sorry :)

Chris

Edited by WaterWorks

Great work, but you're far, far too clever Chris!!

Gone on tell us how you did it... I KNOW you want to!!!! :)

Cheers, Simon

Great work, but you're far, far too clever Chris!!

Gone on tell us how you did it... I KNOW you want to!!!! :)

Cheers, Simon

thanks Si..... Levitation - it's all in the meditation centre in Bangkok... :)

nice to be called "clever" but all I do is press the buttons and move my mouse around (!) The real clever dudes are in a world of their own!

I'm in the process of trying to use as many different softwares to gain added interest from the viewer (I'm working on The Matrix, Bullet Time - where the subject stops midair and we pan the cam around the subject.... I'm just not using X hundred SLRs strapped to each other :) )

I'll give you a clue - but it's not a lot to go by:

this is one of my favourite "inspirational" videos online.... I'm a stickler for timing in the edit and this vid shows off the best of a tight and precise edit and some sexy software to boot.....

it's a little violent (ok, it's jam packed full of gratuitous violence) but if you can see through the sick, twisted, sadistic angle that the director has approached then I'm sure you'll love both the video and the song...

the real, clever, fun begins at 27 seconds (there's a great headbutt at 40 seconds.... and so on and so on!!! it gets a little repetitive after a while, though, I must admit....)

cheers again for the kind words, man

all the best for now..... (got any breaching pelagic footage ;) )

Ha ha....

Well looks like Chris wants to keep it to himself Simon and not share how he did it with us.

Hey that was pretty cool how they shot that.

Looks like they lip sync the song 25% faster and then slowed it down to match the songs normal speed.

Here is a making of, guy using a steady cam.

All looks like allot of work though.

I guess Chris must be doing it with optical flow software of some sort (in my opinion the biggest feature missing in Vegas Pro :) )

I haven't seen the video but I'm assuming it's a simple time warp (normal to super slow to normal etc)?

Twixtor by RE:Vision is the best known plug-in for that sort of work. It's certainly the easiest to use of all. Within FCP 6, there's the time warp filter. The interface is clunky and hard to use, but it can do the job as well.

The most important thing to remember is to use high shutter speeds if you want crisp images. It's easier to interpolate from clear images than motion blurred ones. Underwater it's a little harder to do but a lot of times on many shows, the dolphin sequences are slowed down seamlessly.

I knew that you lot (or one of you) would suss it out eventually - just don't wanna spoon feed you all ;) (kinda like you and your white balance trick Wagsy all those years back!:))

that making of video is also awesome - I just didn't wanna post the link cos it names Twixtor there in the comments... :) :)

Nick - if they can bring this level of Optic Flow into our NLEs then we'd be laaaauuughing! It does stunning stuff to the right footage....

Drew's spot on with the fast shutter speed (this was shot at 1/1000th) - without it, everything would fall to shit veeeeery quickly. That timewarp built into FCP is a right f**ker to master! I'm still years from working that one out properly... ergh....

Wagsy - to be honest, there was a hell of a lot of time that went into trying to suss out the ins and outs of it all, but now I seem to have sorted out a workflow that I can start to consider being know as "productive" again and I'm gonna go for some extreme 0.5% stuff soon(ish)..... shit, that would be 5000fps!

can any of you guys tell me why I can't view any whole threads like I used to and suddenly only see the initial post + whichever other post I've chosen from the collapsed post titles at the bottom?

Cheerio for nooooo... happy Twixtoring!'

(now I gotta bag me a breaching great white ;))

Chris,

great footage! I can imaging some cool things to do while underwater...

BUT unfortunately Twixtor doesnt support EDIUS. What a shame.

Does anybody has some other software in mind which works on it own (PC)

or offers EDIUS compatibility and does a similar job???

I've been using Twixtor on AEFx since 2001.

Drew - how does Twixtor compare to Motion.app? Motion seems to be pretty good.

Hey Christopher -- make an underwater one of these and we'll highlight it on the front page!

Twixtor is 2 generations ahead in terms of ease of use and 1 gen in terms of output. Problem is it's better in AEFx than the limited FCP version. Even the Shake version was better than the FCP version. I think they'll be coming out with an update soon. Apparently they claim Apple is screwing with the SDK with each release so they can't offer the same functionality as AEFx. But I've been out of this for about 8-9 months so things may have changed already.

So that's how, it does certainly looks pretty cool Chris.

Too much work to achieve by the sounds of it.

But yeh Chris we would like to see some more of your work.

I just fired up EDIUS and slowed down some D5 footage to 5%.

It played back realtime then rendered out a Blu_Ray spec H.264 file.

Played that and although it may not look perfect, it looked pretty darn good.

The other cool thing was the audio was all still correct.

Yeah yeah, Twixtor... optical flow... that's what I meant. It's all the same isn't it? Isn't it?? i.e. interpolating movement in a series of successive frames to create new frames. All I know is that my slomo generated in slomo looks crap.

can any of you guys tell me why I can't view any whole threads like I used to and suddenly only see the initial post + whichever other post I've chosen from the collapsed post titles at the bottom?

That happened to me a while back too. Go to "options" at the top right of the thread and choose "switch to: standard".

hey chaps - I'm glad you're all finding the topic as interesting to read about as I do to stay up late over!

gotta forewarn everyone who is interested in attempting anything similar - it ain't just dropping in Twixtor and then you upload a super slomo clip onto cyberspace.... that sequence did take a couple of days to create (but next time would only take a couple of hours)... things like the birds and car add a certain emphasis to the shot, for example.....

If you're expecting to get similar results out of the fabled EDIUS then, sorry Wags, no chance..... says I who knows nothing about EDIUS... :) - I can only presume that if it were possible, then the industry would know about it already...

I tell you what Eric - the only thing that Motion ever did for me was get me off of video and highlight a whole world of further options! I very quickly realised that it is a little bastard to work with, though, that totally screws up your comps processor - rendering the term "productive" totally useless!

What I DID ascertain later on, though, is that AE is out there and kicks the living woopsie out of Motion!

Motion seems to be created to look good while you work - AE is created TO WORK! (But Motion does come with it's certain pros - prebuilt particles and suchlike which, in the right situation, can speed workflows up somewhat.)

It's the first time I've gone "non-Apple" but I cant slate Motion (and it's sloooooooow speeds of use) enough! Get AE - theres a silly amount of Tuts out there on it all..... (Hang on, what am I thinking - I can't slate a Mac product! :) )

RE: U/W version... I'm just finishing one off funnily enough..... but it's FAR less dramatic..... BECAUSE I'M STILL WAITING FOR SOME KIND SOUL TO OFFER ME 5 FRAMES OF FAST MOVING U/W STUFF ;) (for practising with ONLY and not for profiting from......)

Now that Eric's offered front page placement then it'd be a great little stage for someone to get their (maybe otherwise mundane footage) seen in the public domain!

Thanks again, everyone, for all the kind words (Now Wagsy, tell me how to WB my Phenom at 30m then! :))

Edited by WaterWorks

Yeh it s not perfect but I was thinking as a quick way for average Joe.

All my time now days is spent in FLASH, no time to learn new stuff.

Got some footage of a cod taking our a fish that I will try it with later.

Yeh well I'm sure someone will have some footage you can try it out on.

O yeh....the FX1-Z1 will not WB at 30 meters as the camera has a lower max kelvin rating than other cameras.

Got some footage of a cod taking our a fish that I will try it with later.

go on givvusit then.... :)

O yeh....the FX1-Z1 will not WB at 30 meters as the camera has a lower max kelvin rating than other cameras.

I thought that a couple of years ago (maybe only one?) you were on a job with some dude with a funky scratched-up old black(originally?) tube of a housing and that you mastered - whilst on the trip - how to get the bugger to WB "a lot" deeper than the norm, no? Fek..... must be dreaming of WetPixel forums again.... :)

Nick! Thanks for that tip!!! Just saw it.... sweeeeeet......

Now that it's out and there's no NDA, I can mention with FCP7, the Speed Tools are much easier to use. The results are still not like Twixtor crisp but the interface is now much easier. The transition speed sequences are still not as powerful as Twixtor. I think if you're not making the next John Woo movie, I'd get FCS3 for the new features like the Alpha Transitions and other improved tools over just buying one plugin that works better with AEFx anyhow.

Sponsors

Advertisements