Sign in to follow this  
chphoto

What filter to use in a swimming pool

Hello all,

I have a very simple question: if I am shooting people in a swimming pool what filter should work the best blue water or green water? It seems like due to walls generally painted blue and super clear water that is in a pool blue water should work better. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Eugene

If you are shooting video you don't need a filter.

If it is still photography then you still don't want a filter because the water is too shallow and your pictures will look reddish-brown. For still photography you should use strobes to get good color in a pool.

If you are shooting video you don't need a filter.

If it is still photography then you still don't want a filter because the water is too shallow and your pictures will look reddish-brown. For still photography you should use strobes to get good color in a pool.

It still seems like color is pretty much gone even at such modest depth as 9 feet. Also you have to take into account the fact that I am probably another 9 feet away from the subject. So you are saying that there is no way to get a better color with just the natural light?

I have shot in pool with all kind of equip: storbe, blue-filter and as well natural light. All depends on the situatsion: how deep are You, how far is the subject and how much natural light You have. Sometimes I have had better results with blue filter than without it (when You have enough natural light), so it's defenetly worth trying it out in the circumstances You have. No need for a green water filter tough :) ... unless the pool hasn't been cleaned for six months :)

Karel

Well light is bright, and pool is clean. :) I am at 8" and subject is about another 6-8" away from me.

It still seems like color is pretty much gone even at such modest depth as 9 feet. Also you have to take into account the fact that I am probably another 9 feet away from the subject. So you are saying that there is no way to get a better color with just the natural light?

At that depth and at that distance away you will have poor results unless you get closer and use strobes. Powerful strobes can put out light to 10ft but you still will have to shoot through 10ft of water and that will mess you up.

You will have lost 2 stops of red at those distances (meaning very blue pictures).

A filter might work, or you can just fix the pictures in post. However, the best solution is to get to about 3-5 ft from your subject and use two powerful wide angle strobes. If you are photographing people then you need Ikelite DS200 strobes because of there perfect color temp for skin tones.

Edited by surfsupcorp

Well, if the subject is only 8 inches away you shouldn't have any problem :-)

No but seriously - I find what matters most is the color of the pool plaster. If it's a blue/whitish/green then there will be some nasty blue/green ambient light. If the pool is black bottomed or dark blue you will get much better results.

Cheers

James

Are you outdoors or inside?

An an easy fix might be to work the white balance or fabricate a red channel instead of using a filter. You shouldn't have any trouble at that depth.

Cheers

Cal

Are you outdoors or inside?

An an easy fix might be to work the white balance or fabricate a red channel instead of using a filter. You shouldn't have any trouble at that depth.

Cheers

Cal

I think you are correct to some degree. White balance of course the first line of defense, but correction using white balance has its limitations - by amplifying a single channel you are increasing noise. And given my previous experience it seems like noise is excessive.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements