echeng

Copyright violations on Wetpixel

Dear members,

Recently there's been a thread deleted in "Members in Media" which has led to some queries by members who did not understand why it was deleted. The explanation is that it was discovered that particular member was actually banned 3 years ago for twice submitting other people's photos as his own for Wetpixel's Photo of The Week competition. We gave this member a warning the first time (though his explanation was highly implausible, we gave him the benefit of the doubt). However, when he did it again within 3 months of the 1st offense with a similar explanation ("I thought the image was mine because it was in my computer"), we banned him permanently from Wetpixel.

The recent thread revealed that this person had quietly signed on again after a few months of being banned, under a different name. It is impossible for us to monitor every new member, so he slipped past our radar. Discovering who he was, we simply re-enforced the ban on him as per our policies regarding image theft in competitions. We tried to do it indiscriminately to give him a dignified retreat since his name was on the thread. However, our members are an astute bunch and many wrote in with inquiries, which is why we are making this statement.

Wetpixel absolutely does not tolerate image theft and fraudulently misrepresentation in our competitions. We believe in the protection of a photographer's copyrights and will do our best to protect them. The forums and competitions are here for all members who share the common interest of photography. The staff strives to protect their works and the reputation of Wetpixel as a photographer's community.

We want to thank all our members for all the support in making Wetpixel what is it today. Happy shooting!

Wetpixel Staff

By the way, wasn't the deleted post in question about this thief's apparent victory in a photo competition?

Does anyone know if his winning photo was his image or someone's else's?

Edited by danielandrewclem

Daniel, I don't think it's a good idea to start speculating like that. The point is he's now banned again and no longer part of this community.

We just hope that others who are thinking about doing something like this will take heed that Wetpixel has ZERO tolerance for image copyright violators in our competitions.

Ok I'm going to close this thread. The point of this thread is to remind members not to cross the line and the staff are very serious about image copyright protection. We are not about flaming a guy who is no longer a member of our community.

Thanks for your understanding.