Sign in to follow this  
chphoto

Took a plunge - got E520 Olympus housing

I will probably regret it later when the camera spends few month sitting in the closet, but for now I am very excited to get a DSLR housing. I have used P&S underwater before, and it was cool, but still was somewhat handicapped in terms of DR. Than I did an underwater model shoot using ewa-marine style bag, and it was a lot of fun:

3804797846_2e79758c90_o.jpg

3804149122_c32e75120e_o.jpg

Except bag was very hard to use... So I was thinking of upgrading to Ewa-Marine, DSLR proper case was out of question because I though it would be at least $1500. But turns out I can get case and the port for $800. So I thought - what the heck! No lights yet...

I wonder how many people get a case and use it only once? :) Also how much pain is it to travel with a case like that?

I will probably regret it later when the camera spends few month sitting in the closet, but for now I am very excited to get a DSLR housing. I have used P&S underwater before, and it was cool, but still was somewhat handicapped in terms of DR. Than I did an underwater model shoot using ewa-marine style bag, and it was a lot of fun:

3804797846_2e79758c90_o.jpg

3804149122_c32e75120e_o.jpg

Except bag was very hard to use... So I was thinking of upgrading to Ewa-Marine, DSLR proper case was out of question because I though it would be at least $1500. But turns out I can get case and the port for $800. So I thought - what the heck! No lights yet...

I wonder how many people get a case and use it only once? :) Also how much pain is it to travel with a case like that?

Eugene,

Welcome to the Olympus family, nice photos! I have an Oly E-410 with an Oly PT-E03 U/W housing and Inon Z240 strobe that I use everytime I dive (at least once a month) or go to the swimming pool with my grandaughter. I have flown to Florida and Puerto Rico couple of times with this outfit. I put the camera, strobe and housing in my carry on bag. Everything else goes in the checked bag. I just recently upgraded to the Oly Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8 lens. A significant improvement over the 14-42 f3.5 standard lens that came with the camera.

Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob,

I actually have 14-54 II. It is a great lens, but I think for underwater I will use just 14-42 for a while. It is not that bad, and I am guessing lens resolution is less of a limitation underwater.

So this case fits as a carry-on? This is nice. I was thinking of getting a hard case for it.

Eugene

Thanks for the reply Bob,

I actually have 14-54 II. It is a great lens, but I think for underwater I will use just 14-42 for a while. It is not that bad, and I am guessing lens resolution is less of a limitation underwater.

So this case fits as a carry-on? This is nice. I was thinking of getting a hard case for it.

Eugene

Eugene,

My carry on bag used to be an Aqua Lung mesh bag with a zipper top and shoulder strap. I have now graduated to a Stahlsac Cayman Brac carry on with wheels. I can get the camera, housing with dome port, strobe and some soft clothing for padding into it no problem. The wheels sure beat the hell out of carrying this thing with a shoulder strap!

IF you go with a hard carry on case, mak e sure the measurements don't exceed the TSA requirements, 22" length, 14" wide and 9" high. I think the weight requirement is no more than 40lbs, but I have never had ny carry on stuff checked for weight.

Bob

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements