Sign in to follow this  
lonelycat

what lens for taking thresher shark photo

I'm a newbie in using dslr underwater, with nikon D90, aquatica housing, and 2 lens: tokina 10-17mm and nikon 60mm.

I'm going to malapascua coming x'mas and wonder if my existing lens are suitable for taking pictures of thresher sharks. If not, any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Lily

Lily

The Tokina would be my first choice. It's perfect for Palaegic species like the Threshers in the Philipines.

Hope you get to see them close-up.

The 60mm will no doubt get some use, an ex student of mine has just returned from Malapascua with some outstanding macro shots.

He was unlucky with the Threshers, seeing them on only two dives, they were skittish and they kept to the limit of visibility.

Unless you want to take a 105mm for critter hunting I think you have it covered.

Hope this helps

Nige Wade

i think the 60 will be your choice for the threshers. The 10-17 will be far too wide for them unless one happens to shoot within a few feet of you, which unfortunately is unlikely. In order to enough of the frame filled with it you will want the longer lens. Another option would be something like the 28-70 zoom.

I had a 15mm and a 28mm when i was there and never filled enough of the frame with the 28 to make it useful. I wished i had had something longer.

Of course once Mike says that and sets up with a 60, the thresher comes right up to him. :)

Lily, you are going during x'mas which means 30 people diving at monad daily. Since no strobes are allowed anyways, you will have a hard time getting good shots with any lens. I suggest going with a f2 or lower lens to get as much light as possible. A 30 or 50 f1.4 is probably the best lens.

Of course once Mike says that and sets up with a 60, the thresher comes right up to him. :)

Lily, you are going during x'mas which means 30 people diving at monad daily. Since no strobes are allowed anyways, you will have a hard time getting good shots with any lens. I suggest going with a f2 or lower lens to get as much light as possible. A 30 or 50 f1.4 is probably the best lens.

Thanks soooo much for all your replies! :)

So happened I have nikon 50mm f/1.4, see whether it fits my macro port as seems not mentioned in aquatica's catalog... so dear aquatica experts, pls correct me if i'm wrong ...

yes, it will fit.

I suggest using the 50 behind a dome port.

I suggest using the 50 behind a dome port.

I also had bad luck with the Threshers; finally saw them on my last of three dives. They never came close enough for more than a shadow shot...but when I look at the prints, I know what is there!!

No flash, so definitely take the longest lens with the widest apeture you got.

Hope you have better luck than me. Getting up at 5 a.m. when on vacation more than one day in a row was NOT my idea of fun. But it was ultimately worth it.

Also, good luck getting there. The roads to the boat dock are HORRIBLE!!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements