echeng

1st time assembly of Seacam 5D2 (timelapse)

I gave a friend a 2 hour tutorial on the Seacam Canon 5D Mark II housing today. After the lesson, I took this timelapse video of him assembling and disassembling his new housing!

Timelapse was created using Quicktime Pro from still images taken with the Canon 5D2 at 2-second intervals.

I gave a friend a 2 hour tutorial on the Seacam Canon 5D Mark II housing today. After the lesson, I took this timelapse video of him assembling and disassembling his new housing!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Timelapse was created using Quicktime Pro from still images taken with the Canon 5D2 at 2-second intervals.

Eric

That is really cool. I am thinking of doing something similar with a Mumford Time-machine with a Sony XR520 in my workshop. A sort of "a day in the workshop" condensed to 5Mins.

Did you use high ISO setting or there are additional lighting?

David Cheung

Fairly high ISO. No additional lighting. These were done with 5D2, so even at ISO 2500, it's probably pretty clean. :)

Fairly high ISO. No additional lighting. These were done with 5D2, so even at ISO 2500, it's probably pretty clean. :)

Not bad for ISO 2500. Just tried it now and the actual HD video is even better. I am going to try this time lapse trick on my shark cage dive in Adelaide next month.

I am thinking of trying slow motion as well. At the moment for the budget I could probably mod my Casio EX FX1 into a 5D MII housing. The two camera is very close in size. Hope this all works. If not there is always the Mumford timer.

Cheers

David

Tried "it?" What do you mean?

There is no way HD video taken with the 5D2 is better than a full-resolution timelapse. Or, do you mean that the HD version of the video is even better?

This was actually done at ISO 800 2000 (just checked). I was just throwing ISO 2500 out there, since I've also had good results at 2500!

Tried "it?" What do you mean?

There is no way HD video taken with the 5D2 is better than a full-resolution timelapse. Or, do you mean that the HD version of the video is even better?

This was actually done at ISO 800 2000 (just checked). I was just throwing ISO 2500 out there, since I've also had good results at 2500!

Hi Eric

Sorry better rephrase what I said. Of course full frame time lapse has better resolution. What I meant is that with higher frame rate this will make HD video even "better" but I think I better do more tests before i conclude anything. I am still getting to know what the 5DmII can so. One of my aims is to make the number of frames per second higher. ie. like Hi-speed Hi-Def.

That would be good if someone could find a way to do that :)

Oh yeah low noise and high ISO definitely helps.

Cheers

David

Not bad for ISO 2500. Just tried it now and the actual HD video is even better. I am going to try this time lapse trick on my shark cage dive in Adelaide next month.

Cheers

David

Hi David,

Long and expensive trip for an experiment?

Wouldn't you be better off trying it out before getting to South Australia and possibly wasting some world class video action?

Dunno, :) . . . . you might have better knowledge as to the expected results from your experiments.

If I was lucky enough to see Mr White, I would like to know that I was going to 'nail' the shot!!

After all, no need sh*^tting in your wetsuit for nuttin'.... :(:)

Bruce...

Hi Eric

Sorry better rephrase what I said. Of course full frame time lapse has better resolution. What I meant is that with higher frame rate this will make HD video even "better" but I think I better do more tests before i conclude anything. I am still getting to know what the 5DmII can so. One of my aims is to make the number of frames per second higher. ie. like Hi-speed Hi-Def.

That would be good if someone could find a way to do that :)

David

EX-FX1 is probably your cheapest option for hi-speed. Use the 60fps at high shutter speed (1/1000 or faster) and then use post to slow down another 500% and play back at 24fps. The hi-speed modes on the EX-FX1 are too low res for anything but youtube. It's great for analyzing swings etc.

I have to ask, where the heck are you going to put the camera in your shop? It's already packed enough as it is. :)

David

EX-FX1 is probably your cheapest option for hi-speed. Use the 60fps at high shutter speed (1/1000 or faster) and then use post to slow down another 500% and play back at 24fps. The hi-speed modes on the EX-FX1 are too low res for anything but youtube. It's great for analyzing swings etc.

I have to ask, where the heck are you going to put the camera in your shop? It's already packed enough as it is. :)

Hey Drew

Your VX is squeezed between the Fx7 housing and the Panny housing at the front window. I need a bigger place. The good thing with a small space is you could reach everything at arms length :) When are you heading this way?

Thanks for the tip. Lighting at high speed is a problem. I could use the Casio popup flash for hi-speed flash sync.......and stitch up the frames.

Now if only the 5DmII could that at fullframe.......

Had a meeting with the NUS Bio-diversity Museum department with a guy from Vision Research for a demo with a Phantom HD.....amazing stuff but way out of my league.

http://www.visionresearch.com/index.cfm?se...mp;page=Gallery

Hey Bruce

I do have couple of back up video cameras and a full cartered boat by a friend so I have plenty of time to muck about.

Cheers

David

Only NUS would pay for the Phantom HD when there're cheaper systems around :)

Only NUS would pay for the Phantom HD when there're cheaper systems around :)

Hey Drew

Even the Uni cannot justify buying it. In the end they settled for Casio! I thought about designing a housing for the Phantom but to be honest I have to be mad to put that thing underwater.

They do have some great "toys" eg. the specimen 3D imaging stand they have. Takes images layer by layer at different depth and then recombined. That is my best try in decribing the thing - not the MRI. The image is so sharp the specimen looks like its alive except of course the machine can only take dead things that doesn't move :)

Cheers

David

David

There's a housing for the Phantom already. You're behind the game! :)

There are quite a few high speed cameras out in the market now. Phantom is the only one which hits 4k and thus will be mostly a hollywood/big budget science project camera.

I've heard of the 3D image scanner. It was once joked that that's the way the future generations will see some of the species which will go extinct in the coming years. :)

Very cool, Eric! Watching that, I felt like I'd had too much caffeine this morning! :)

Very nice. I love that 5d2. I still cant believe I switched from Nikon for it (well at least temporarily). haha

Bragger

Sponsors

Advertisements