Chris Yorke

What screen/monitor would you recommend???

Hi everyone.

Would like some feed back and possible suggestions on Monitors to use for photo editing.

Is bigger better and should i get a wide screen or a normal size screen, though they are becoming few and far.I have heard that wide screens s t r e t c h the picture so don't show it how it really is.Then i have heard that this is not so????

If you do want the wide screen you have to make sure that you can set it up for pic editing, is this right.I have managed to confuse the hell out of my self by reading all about contrast ratio, response time and so on. Is there someone out there who can put me on the right track again.

I have been thinking about a 24" screen plus with i believe a high contrast ratio??? Also there is then the business of using one of those spyder things to adjust the colour of the screen. Now, when you do this do you adjust the colour using your laptop graphics card or do you adjust it with the controls on the screen????

There are many questions here i know but as much help as you can offer would be great.

If this is of any help i am using a laptop,256MB Nevada geforce go 7300, Intel core 2 duo T5500 processor, windows xp service pack 3, photoshop elements 6, 2GB DDR2 ram.

Edited by Bluediver

I don't know where you heard that about widescreen monitors ... not something you should worry about.

What's your budget? Are you making fine art prints or producing for the web or ... some other final destination?

Ignore things like contrast ratio and response time - they aren't relevant to this decision.

What outputs does your laptop have for pushing an external monitor? If you have HDMI or DVI, you're in good shape, but if it only has a VGA output, that will limit the resolution your computer can push.

If you're serious about graphics and photos, calibrating your monitor will be important. You'll just use the software that comes with the hardware calibration unit.

Edited by CompuDude

if it only has a VGA output, that will limit the resolution your computer can push.

What limits VGA? Signal degradation? I don't think there is an inherent limit - although the video card may have a limit by design.

Regardless, you can drive a perfectly nice monitor over VGA.

For me, the big attraction of DVI is the DCC control for direct calibration of a high-bit LUT ... but that's the expensive route.

If you are just starting out and don't have a real need for hyper-critical color managed workflow, VGA is just fine and doesn't really box you out of anything, IMO.

I don't know where you heard that about wide screen monitors ... not something you should worry about.

What's your budget? Are you making fine art prints or producing for the web or ... some other final destination?

Ignore things like contrast ratio and response time - they aren't relevant to this decision.

Hi Jeremy,

I have around A$500 to spend and i am processing photos for making various sized prints for people to purchase.Will also be displayed on a web page.

Hi Jeremy,

I have around A$500 to spend and i am processing photos for making various sized prints for people to purchase.Will also be displayed on a web page.

I have a VGA output on my laptop. I was thinking of 24" screen. Does anyone have any pointers as to what i should look for on a good screen.

Also want to say thanxs to both Jeremy and compudude for your info so far :)

Hi Jeremy,

What about the Dell 2408wfp?

I have one at work.

1920 x 1200

pivots between landscape and portrait

It calibrates well.

Lots of ports:

-DVI (2)

-DisplayPort

-HDMI

-composite

-VGA

-4 port USB hub

-2 card reader slots (CF, xD, SD, MS, MMC)

around $400 US on sale from Dell (check dealmac.com)

Take Care,

ChrisS

Thanxs to all who answered my question. Its all been very helpfull already.

Sponsors

Advertisements