cheb

Vignetting with L&M StingRay and XR500 Sony

I to have the same problem with vig.

I have the Stringray + housing with the Sony XR500. I have the IS turned OFF completely and this is what I get with EVERY clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p74mFavP33g

very disappointed and looking for a solution.

This shouldn't be so - are you certain the intermediate tray is setup properly ?

What lens is this?

Cheb

Which lens are you getting vignetting with? the Fathoms 90 or 110?

I split your post from the BlueFin thread since it's a different housing.

From the looks of the vignetting, the camera is simply set too far back. You should definitely send it back to L&M.

camera is Sony XR500 with the LM Stingray + housing with the standard lens it comes with....the 65 I think.

yes it appears its set to far back but there doesnt seem to be a way or option to move the camera tray or the camera ON the tray forward towards the lens.

it only came with spacers to RAISE the tray, but NOTHING TO MOVE THE TRAY FORWARD....hmmm?

Edited by cheb

Something is definitely not set up correctly...

Can you post a picture of the camera tray?

Cheb,

if I remember correctly L&M has several different ways of configuring the Stingray trays.

So you can use the same tray for a lot of different camcorders.

I also think the tray has the camcorder model number engraved and you may need to turn

the tray 180° around.

Please double check this.

Yes, I would highly suggest you check out which hole you are aligned with on the camera tray. There are 4 holes I believe, all with different alignment. I would suggest going through your owners manual and verifying you have the mount screws set up for the proper hole. We have set up SRay Plus housings with the Xr camcorders without any issues.

the number engraved on the bottom is 622-0951-A

it has 2 wires...a yellow one, which attaches to the cam. And a black wire that appears to be an audio cable, used for nothing.

dsc04315t.jpg

dsc04322s.jpg

there are really no "options" for shifting the tray forward or backwards. Or flipping it around, as then the camera tightening screw wouldnt be accessible..... as seen in the pictures above there is only one set of holes that the tray lines up with.

I almost think I have the wrong tray for the housing?...hmmm?

That is a Bluefin tray, and this was a mistake made by our store, not Light & Motion. I'm sorry for the mistake, but we are shipping a new tray today to correct this.

Great!

Thanks a lot for your help Ryan.

Looking forward to trying it out...with the right tray this time.

This has answered a lot of my questions, I was starting to think I was crazy. :)

Update:

Got the new tray and that fixed everything. Looks good now with no vignetting.

Thanks Ryan at Reef Photo for taking care of it.

Update:

Got the new tray and that fixed everything. Looks good now with no vignetting.

Thanks Ryan at Reef Photo for taking care of it.

Hey Cheb,

Very interesting to read that you have the Stingray+ housing and an XR520. I was lead to believe that this combination won't provide you with access to the manual focus controls. How do you overcome this?

This is all new to me so it's a genuine question - I was originally looking at the XR520 & Stingray+ combination but due to the lack of auto / manual focus switching I opted for the CX12E and Stingray+.

Keen to hear your experiences with this - Dave.

Hi Dave,

XR520 in the Bluefin Pro defenitely has manual / auto focus switch! You can set it up on the multi function wheel in front of the left handle, and even change on the fly between four different functions with the use of the manual button. Very easy. SOrry you didn't get the right info! :-(

Hi Dave,

XR520 in the Bluefin Pro defenitely has manual / auto focus switch! You can set it up on the multi function wheel in front of the left handle, and even change on the fly between four different functions with the use of the manual button. Very easy. SOrry you didn't get the right info! :-(

Solo_Nz,

Yeah the Bluefin Pro does offer that but I'm not sure that the Stingray+ housing does. I looked at the Bluefin but it was just that bit more costly $$$.

Dave.

Sponsors

Advertisements