Sign in to follow this  
indigo

Red Coral / Red Coral Shrimp

Recently explored the very North of St. Vincent, where a water fall (fresh water) meets the ocean, at the foot of a volcano. The underwater topography is amazing, and very deep, however the life found here is very different to the rest of the marine environment in St. Vincent. Elsewhere on the island there is a profusion of 'critters' and juvenile fish, here there are very few small fish, and even less 'critters' However there are lots of sponges and a profusion of little Black Corals. There were a lot of redish / purple corals that I am assuming are a variety of Black Coral, and on closer inspection I found a reddish purple shrimp on one of these corals.

Shrimp and coral

The photo was taken in approx 20ft water. The shrimp is approx 5mm in length

I can find neither in any of the ID resources that I have, so would appreciate any help in identifying the coral and shrimp.

Thanks!

Edited by indigo

Hi Kay - I don't recognize it either. If you want to send me high-res files I'll pass them onto my shrimp buds. They'll want to see details of the front end & the front legs if you have any pics that show these features.

Cheers, Leslie

Hi Kay - I don't recognize it either. If you want to send me high-res files I'll pass them onto my shrimp buds. They'll want to see details of the front end & the front legs if you have any pics that show these features.

Cheers, Leslie

Leslie,

Thank you so much. I have posted all of the shots that I have, in hi res format, to http://picasaweb.google.com/Indigodive/Uni...325429261146722 although the quality of the photography may be questionable. My super macro work is improving, but I think that I need a few more stacking diopters to get to the level of detail that I would like!

Edited by indigo

Hi Kay - Finally heard from Sammy De Grave who's been away. Your shrimpy is Periclimenes antipathophilus. Gordon's away too, so no news about the yellow star as yet.

L

Leslie,

Thank you so much! Really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Kay

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements