Alex_Mustard

Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition

Ditto. And I'll cancel w/ Amazon as well if I can get it in person @ DEMA. Kinda wanted to read it on the flight there, but even first delivery estimate was too late for that....

I've just been loooking at this....

Focal Length press give and estimated delivery of 7th Nov, Their UK distributer Jan 2010, and Amazon still list 10th December!

Who knows!

Adam

I feel like I've been DUPED..what a bummer!

Am I right...DEMA is not open to the general public? Can I get in if I'm a divemaster, but not affiliated with a dive business? How much $$$ ?

Thanks!

Mike

Mike, DEMA is an Industry show for wholesale and manufacturers...or at least that's how it started ;-).

I think it is open to DMs and above though, as you're considered a professional.

This is OT though, go to the DEMA site for more info.

Jack

AFAIK - Martin's plan has always been to launch the book at the Visions In The Sea conference (see this thread) in 6 days time - and I have heard nothing to suggest that this still won't be the case. Even if the main print run is not ready (no reason to suspect that this is the case) - I am sure Martin will have some advanced copies for Visions.

Since Martin is attending Visions and not DEMA (they are on the same dates) I would not expect the book to be at DEMA - although I think that Amazon is being very pessimistic with a February date. I would expect all pre-orders to be delivered in November.

If I hear different I will post here. Martin is in Misool at the moment, I think, but I know he is back in time for the Visions event, which starts on Friday.

Alex

AFAIK - Martin's plan has always been to launch the book at the Visions In The Sea conference (see this thread) in 6 days time

Ooh - excellent - thanks for the heads up Alex!

Update from Martin: "Book will not be ready for the weekend" - so there is a short delay.

Alex

I've often thought that a waterproof version of martin's book would be very handy to have as a reference tool underwater! Can't wait for the new edition to be released.

and I just bought the 3rd edition a few months ago..... :blink::lol:

I spoke directly with Focal Press, the publisher, and they told me that the new release date will be Jan. 24, 2010.

Mike

Anyway , as soon as the book will be available I will order it !

If today I can make some decent pictures it's only with the help that I received from Martin's teaching :blink:

My only wish is that an electronic edition on a cd could be more easy to take with me when I travel !! :lol:

Edited by girelle

I'm starting to regret starting this thread, as it seems to have been the kiss of death! That said I think I finally have a more definitive date that agrees with what Beach Bum heard from the publishers.

I asked Martin what was the latest on the delay and these were his comments:

...should be on the shelves by 3rd week in January. I've only found this out myself yesterday. I was hoping for pre Xmas release but sadly it's not to be. I have mixed feelings about the delay....

My pics, words and how I wanted to illustrate this 4th edition would not fit into any book template of Focal press. So, instead of making it fit they have designed a new template which is consistent with my style, aspirations and requests, which I think is a good thing.

Alex

Nah, you didn't break it...sounds like if we got it earlier it would've been a shoe-horn reformatting, so the reason for the delay is good news.

I'm starting to regret starting this thread, as it seems to have been the kiss of death! That said I think I finally have a more definitive date that agrees with what Beach Bum heard from the publishers.

I asked Martin what was the latest on the delay and these were his comments:

Alex

Don't do that Alex. Martin is going to sell one more book becouse of you and this tread. I'll buye one. Thanks Alex, for this book tips.

Hey Alex

I wouldn't beat yourself up over this. I don't believe you had anything to do with Martin's book being delayed. I thank you for anouncing his new book. Although I have his third edition, I have already preordered the fourth edition to find out what new tips and tricks he has come up with. Perhaps someday you will write a similar book. In fact, what are you waiting for, I believe a lot of people would be interested in a book like this from you. It's always good to get opinions from differant photographers as everyone takes a little differant approach. One thing I have learned about UW photography, if you want a good picture you have to be patient. I believe the same will be true of Martin's book.

Mike

Thanks for the support guys. It has been a fun thread. Many books have delays like this (and you just wouldn't hear about it), I just feel a bit guilty that because of my original post - this has been a public delay, rather than a private one. Although I guess if we all go out and buy a copy then Martin will be happy with the result!

Alex

Thanks for the support guys. It has been a fun thread. Many books have delays like this (and you just wouldn't hear about it), I just feel a bit guilty that because of my original post - this has been a public delay, rather than a private one. Although I guess if we all go out and buy a copy then Martin will be happy with the result!

Alex

Hi Alex

not to worry, it'll make for good reading in the new Year!

(BTW, you might care to change the sub-header of the thread "8 hours away"!)

R

I hold you totally responsible Alex ;) ....For making me buy this book that will be here once I get _back_ from the Socorros. At least I'll have a very good idea of what i did wrong... :)

Cheers,

Jack

Don't feel bad Jack, even with the book I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! ;)

Mike

Drat, Amazon just informed me they canceled my pre-order. I was SURE I authorized the delay, but guess I didn't.

Gotta get back in the queue now.

Martin,

hope to pick up two copies at LIDS. Alex, will you be around too?

Izzy

Coincidently, I had lunch with Martin today. He will definitely be at LIDS, I will be if I am invited to speak.

Alex

Drat, Amazon just informed me they canceled my pre-order. I was SURE I authorized the delay, but guess I didn't.

Gotta get back in the queue now.

I definitely authorized the delay, sent them the authorization notice as well but they still cancelled. Strange

Bill

Got this from amazon.co.uk today.

Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on October 15 2009

MARTIN EDGE "The Underwater Photographer"

Estimated arrival date: December 24 2009 - January 06 2010

Sponsors

Advertisements