Alex_Mustard

Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition

Got this from amazon.co.uk today.

Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on October 15 2009

MARTIN EDGE "The Underwater Photographer"

Estimated arrival date: December 24 2009 - January 06 2010

Ditto that.

Hopefully between Christmas and New Year so I've got so free time to read it through!

R

Doh and Doh - hope vanquished! another update from Amazon that jives with what Alex has been saying. note: not that i doubted Alex's post or his source (Martin), was just holding out whatever hope was left.

[We regret to inform you that your order will take longer to fulfill than originally estimated. Our supplier has notified us that there is a delay obtaining stock for the following items you ordered on October 15 2009.

We are awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.]

Edited by jmauricio

Doh and Doh - hope vanquished! another update from Amazon that jives with what Alex has been saying. note: not that i doubted Alex's post or his source (Martin), was just holding out whatever hope was left.

Heard from Martin yesterday. All seems on track for the dates posted earlier.

Alex

Heard from Martin yesterday. All seems on track for the dates posted earlier.

Alex

Not according to Amazon, just received this:

Dear Customer,

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to obtain the following item:

We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion. Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for you.

This item has now been cancelled from your order and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

We are no longer able to offer this item for sale. Our supplier has informed us that this item has been discontinued and is no longer available.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.

:-(

R

Edited by ralphy

Sounds a bit serious. I guess that is just how the amazon order system deals with the delay. The book is still coming in January.

Alex

Just got the same from Amazon :-(

Scroll up - they cancelled a couple of the rest of us back at the beginning of December.

I wouldn't read much into it either. I'd figure the author would know if he was getting published a bit more than Amazon, especially if the holdup was related to production formats, it was already a done deal.

Just c0mput3rs doing what they do best.

:D

Just had my pre- order from Amazon cancelled this really p#$% me off any one else have the same thing happen to them?

Edited by Crayfish

Yup!

Amazon can't cope with the delay, so they have binned everyone's order.

Shall we try elsewhere in 2010?

Perhaps Focal Press can help....

Tim

:D

So far my order has not been canceled and is slated for February delivery. I did o.k. the delay with Amazon months ago..will see what happens.

Has anyone who's order was canceled checked with the publisher to see if they can order from another retailer or from the publisher directly?

Mike

Hey, what the heck! Amazon will list it sooner or later. At least they are being honest and not taking money against an order they are unable to fullfill. Yup, I'd like to browse Martin's latest now, but next month ain't going to hurt. Chill...

We will see it (the book) when we see it! ha ha :D

I have the first 3 editions so am looking forward to the 4th. Bought them all in bookstores.

Hi all

According to the publisher, the new release date is Feb 7, 2010. I don't know why Amazon is cancelling orders, apparently they aren't interested in making money. So far Amazon has not canceled my order, and hopefully they won't.

Mike

PS: you can order direct from Focalpress.com for $39.95

Edited by Beach Bum

We will see it (the book) when we see it! ha ha :D

I have the first 3 editions so am looking forward to the 4th. Bought them all in bookstores.

Well aren't you special! :D

Well aren't you special! :D

Quite the opposite! After reading Alex's postings I am more than slightly curious about this new edition (I am sure many others are as well) having followed the evolution of the book since the 1st ed. My personal approach to UWP has changed considerably with digital and even more recently since card size is not longer a limit. I used 4GB cards before 2008 but now have up to 32GB. This has impacted my approach and wonder how this has affected his philosophy. Should be a good read.

However, one needs to exercise some patience. The book will come out, just not yesterday. Seems to me that ordering something before it is available is inviting trouble. Hopefully the delays were not due to some financial difficulty at the publisher, things being what they are with the economy.

Just had an Email from Amazon

"We're happy to inform you that the items you requested are now available to order from Amazon.co.uk."

The Underwater Photographer (Paperback)

Availability: Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information.

Looks like a February release

Nige Wade

Hi all,

I've just pre-ordered mine from Amazon (UK)

It was a bit cheaper than ordering it via Focal Press.

At least they are accepting pre-orders again. They cancelled my previous one, and I assumed (wrongly) that I would have to re-order it when it came out at the full price.

Well done amazon!

Adam

My daughter asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her it was Martin Edge's new book. I did warn her though, that she had to pre-order it and I didn't mind receiving it after Christmas.

So I think I can look forward to receiving soon it as a gift. Yay!

Ellen

I ordered mine yesterday at a local bookstore - release date for Australia apparantly isn't until mid Mar 2010

Karl

Hi all,

Just had an update from Amazon UK

"Dear Customer,

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on December 22 2009 (Order #026-5937946-2913968).

Estimated arrival date: January 21 2010 - January 22 2010"

Back in business, and exactly as predicted!

Adam

Interesting,

My email from Amazon UK said:

Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on December 22 2009 (Order #203-2811087-4335505).

Estimated arrival date: January 25 2010 - January 28 2010

They must be staggering them...

Maybe I am being really stupid (wouldn't be the first time), but, I can't seem to find it on Amazon :D I can find the 3rd Ed., but not the 4th.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction :drink: Either Amazon, or somewhere else I could lay my hands on a copy

Cheers

Sean

Maybe I am being really stupid (wouldn't be the first time), but, I can't seem to find it on Amazon :D I can find the 3rd Ed., but not the 4th.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction :drink: Either Amazon, or somewhere else I could lay my hands on a copy

Cheers

Sean

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Underwater-Photogr...5174&sr=1-3

I think this is the one, same cover as the U.S. one labeled 4th edition

http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Photograp...5302&sr=8-1

for the U.S. one.

Amazon is now showing a US release date of Feb. 7, 2010.

You Sir, are a gent ^_^

I'm pretty certain I saw that, and then for some obscure reason discounted it, as it said available in 10-12 days (I figured it would be longer than that).

Looking at all the bumpf below also shows

Publisher: Focal Press; 4th Revised edition edition (24 Oct 2009)

Just put my order in :)

Sponsors

Advertisements