Alex_Mustard

Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition

WooHooo! Just opened my box and settling in for a nice evening read!!!!!

The joys of living in the middle of... nowhere. It's interesting watching the tracking when you get something sent DHL from NYC - it goes to Kentucky, then Frankfurt, then Dubai, Bangkok, Singapore, Perth (all in about 3 days) and then it takes at least another week after clearing customs to reach me. We only get deliveries on Wednesdays which doesn't help. So 6 weeks for Amazon's regular international shipping sounds about right.

I did see something on Amazon last night about another book from Martin that is due out in May.

<<I did see something on Amazon last night about another book from Martin that is due out in May.>>

5th Edition? ;)

Just received my addition today here in Kalifornia ... wow... Looks great and full of new information. Thanks for the great work!

Steve

I cancelled my Amazon order.

Only because I got a copy signed by the man himself at BSOUP last night:D

Sean

Just canceled my Amazon UK order-and have ordered it from the States

Amazon UK are still not actually giving a lead time-the last deadline of 15-17th Feb passed, and they haven't updated it yet!

Adam

Here are a couple of photos from last night's BSoUP meeting. Excellent turnout, I don't know the official number, but it must have been close to 100 underwater photographers.

Martin signed lots of books:

post-713-1266485618.jpg

Here is my copy - I think the note says "F8 and a big bank account to get to all the hot places first" (not really).

post-713-1266485626.jpg

Alex

p.s. I am also excited that the picture that is right at the start of this thread is actually in the book! Page 407. ;)

Just canceled my Amazon UK order-and have ordered it from the States

Amazon UK are still not actually giving a lead time-the last deadline of 15-17th Feb passed, and they haven't updated it yet!

Adam

According to the publishers at last nights meeting the copies they were selling are pre-release and there will be no copies available on Amazon for about a month.

Daniel

It's finally here!!!!! My copy was waiting for me when I got home yesterday. It is definately big!

Mike

It's finally here!!!!! My copy was waiting for me when I got home yesterday. It is definately big!

Mike

It certainly is! I ordered the new paperback version from Amazon and thought they had sent the hardcover by mistake when I was handed the box. Heavy!

It certainly is! I ordered the new paperback version from Amazon and thought they had sent the hardcover by mistake when I was handed the box. Heavy!

Not only did my copy arrive yesterday I got a $14 refund from Amazon for price protection...Maybe because it's not a hard cover?

Great read so far, but lots of typos. Martin, you need to hire me to proof your proofers! ;-)

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We're writing to let you know we processed your refund of $14.87 for your Order xxxxxxx

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: The Underwater Photographer, Fourth Edition

Quantity: 1

ASIN: 0240521641

Reason for refund: Pre-order price protection

Here's a the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: $13.58

Item Tax Refund: $1.29

Edited by ramaroodle

Not only did my copy arrive yesterday I got a $14 refund from Amazon for price protection...Maybe because it's not a hard cover?

Interesting. Did you order the hard cover and receive the paperback, or order just before the paperback was released?

I specifically ordered the paperback version which would have cost less than the hard cover on Amazon. The other interesting part is that I received it the day before Amazon's release date.

Interesting. Did you order the hard cover and receive the paperback, or order just before the paperback was released?

I specifically ordered the paperback version which would have cost less than the hard cover on Amazon. The other interesting part is that I received it the day before Amazon's release date.

This is my original order from November 25th. The current price is $26.37

Items Ordered Price

1 of: The Underwater Photographer, Fourth Edition [Paperback]

By: MARTIN EDGE

Condition: New

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

$39.95

Item(s) Subtotal: $39.95

Shipping & Handling: $3.99

-----

Total Before Tax: $43.94

Sales tax: $4.18

-----

Total for this Shipment: $48.12

-----

Items Ordered Price

1 of: The Underwater Photographer, Fourth Edition [Paperback]

By: MARTIN EDGE

Condition: New

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

$39.95

Item(s) Subtotal: $39.95

Shipping & Handling: $3.99

-----

Total Before Tax: $43.94

Sales tax: $4.18

-----

Total for this Shipment: $48.12

-----

Edited by ramaroodle

This is my original order from November 25th. The current price is $26.37

I paid $39.95. It seems the difference here is that you pre-ordered and I didn't. Regardless, I've spoken to Amazon and arranged a refund of the difference because the price dropped dramatically so soon after purchase. Thanks for the heads-up!

Here you go... received the same refund I guess because of pre-order. Would love a signed copy but am happy with crazy discount ;)

Greetings from Amazon.com.

You saved $13.58 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee!

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

The Underwater Photographer, Fourth Edition

Price on order date: $39.95

Price charged at shipping: $39.95

Lowest price before release date: $26.37

Amount to be refunded: $13.58

Quantity: 1

Total Savings: $13.58

I got an email advising of the refund too which was a nice surprise. I'm not even sure if it is available in hardcover?

Have to love the one click ordering on Amazon. So easy. Ordered mine just now. Hopefully it will be here before next Saturday so I can take it on my trip.

Cannot wait to see the latest edition

DiverPam

My copy was despatched this morning at long last, should be with me in the next couple of day...! Glad to see Amazon UK have got stock now!

Got a bit of a scoop today, when I went around to visit Martin Edge, who is putting the finishing touches on the brand new 4th edition of his popular book (I have seen it referred to here on Wetpixel as the bible!) The Underwater Photographer. Martin says that he has about 8 hours more work and then it is totally, completely finished.

The new edition is a total re-write and significantly expanded from the 3rd edition, it is certainly written so that it is an essential buy for anyone who has the 3rd edition. I got a few sneak peaks, I wasn't going to pass on that, which left me very keen to see the whole thing in the flesh. The book is due out this year and is already listed on Amazon (UK) with an early December release. Although I think Martin hopes it will be out a month earlier than that.

Alex

Well, I got mine just in time for my trip! Actually got the 4th edition yesterday and the 3rd today! LOL! So am taking the 3rd on The Road, and will leave the 4th at home.

I will be spending so much time trying to get a basic handle on this stuff!

I notice that this is in the unrequited gear lust section, and for a while I thought it might be (unrequited that is!)

Amazon UK delivered mine this morning!

First thoughts are that it has a bunch of "guest" speakers, and it is a big book!

Now for a quiet week!

Adam

Edited by adamdiveruk

I got an email advising of the refund too which was a nice surprise. I'm not even sure if it is available in hardcover?

While I am not going to refuse my refund, I would have far rather paid the full price and had more of the money go to Martin honestly.

I am all for lower prices but I also want authors to be fairly compensated so that they continue to produce such excellent and helpful works.

WOW! Wonderful book. Fantastic reference. Beginner to advanced.

It also drives home the lesson that the photographer not the equipment makes the difference. Unless those Inons have some kind of Harry Potter magical powers I have the ability to take much better shots with my D300 & my DS125's.

Andy

I couldn't even find it on Amazon UK, but it's showing as in stock on Amazon.com.

Poor show for us Brits.

R

Hi Ralphy,

I persisted with The Book Repository after also having my order canceled and receiving a full refund. I emailed them to inquire about whether

I could actually order or not from them after I noted the title was still listed on their site. They replied that it was now available and I could indeed

order again. The free shipping to Australia was very attractive.

I just received the following from them

.....I am pleased to let you know that we have just received notification that your pre-ordered book has been made available by the publisher. This book will be dispatched to you in the next few days.....

Cheers,

Jim.

Hi Ralphy,

I persisted with The Book Repository after also having my order canceled and receiving a full refund. I emailed them to inquire about whether

I could actually order or not from them after I noted the title was still listed on their site. They replied that it was now available and I could indeed

order again. The free shipping to Australia was very attractive.

I just received the following from them

Cheers,

Jim.

Hi Jim,

thanks for that, I've been too busy to go onto Amazon for it so I'll re-order off The Book Repository.

R

I'll add my $0.02 endorsement. Ordered the book from Amazon after reading this thread about 10 days ago - came about a week later, and from what I've read, this is a MUST HAVE for every serious uw photographer (I know what I'll be getting several people for Christmas this year!).

Received my copy today and at first glance it sure looks the goods. Very happy to get it for only $33 AUD inc delivery to Australia :clapping:

Cheers,

Jim

Sponsors

Advertisements