Alex_Mustard

Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer - new 4th edition

After four orders and three cancellations, I finally have my own copy... First a shower, then start reading...

After four orders and three cancellations, I finally have my own copy... First a shower, then start reading...

I have the 3rd editon and I'm keen on getting the 4th too. But could somone here please give a little "what's new" highlights here?

Oskar: Vad jag förstått så är den helt omgjord med innehåll bara för digitalkameror. Kan ju dock ha fel då jag inte läst de andra.

Mine arrived last week too, so far so good, although i'm not even half way thru yet. Although I'm yet to see just how much of it is new from the 3rd edn.

Received my copy today and at first glance it sure looks the goods. Very happy to get it for only $33 AUD inc delivery to Australia :drink:

Where'd you get it at that price Jim? Mine was actually a gift so not sure how much it was to get out here.

Hi Ryan,

it was from The Book Depository in the UK. I'm so used to paying an arm and a leg for books here in Australia I was

amazed at the deal I got. When I showed Alex and Shannon my copy they were both happy with the print quality on their

images in it.

Cheers,

Jim.

Am I the only one that keep finding typos and other thing that just don't quite feel right. For instance there is one page of a shot of a eel, with a quiz on how it was being lighted. The answer was on around page 260 I think. The answer says the strobe was placed left, but reading the explanation it really does seem to be from the right. I'm about halfway though, and I think I've spotted 4 - 5 missing letters (is instead of his for instance). I might have my expectations set to high, but I feel when you get this kind of mistakes that I find just by reading it through, what else have they got wrong?

I was looking at www.edgeunderwaterphotography.com for some errata, but I couldn't find anything.

/Björn

Am I the only one that keep finding typos and other thing that just don't quite feel right. For instance../Björn

I've found a bunch, too, but in every case, it's been pretty obvious what was intended, and there's enough worthwhile info in it that I consider that a minor quibble.

Nevertheless, I would concede that when the fifth edition is "ready for press," Martin should probably have Alex and a dozen or so other people (literate uw photographers) "beta test" it before actually finalizing it for print.

Edited by bmyates

I've noticed in both his third and fourth edition numerous errors. Martin could certainly use a proof reader. And yes, I am volunteering my services! But as Bruce pointed out, for the most part it is obvious what was intended.

Mike

Since I got the first copy Alex asked me to write up a review. It's up on the front page today.

Cheers,

Steve

You are a star ;) And you are determined to make me spend more money on this darned UW photo thing, aren't you? :o

Good review Steve and I am going to pick it up - it seemed pretty clear from the git go that there was enough of a difference from the last edition to make it worthwhile and your review sealed it.

OK Steve based solely on your review I just ordered one.

No pressure at all - but I know where Arizona is on the map........

Paul C :o

OK Steve based solely on your review I just ordered one.

No pressure at all - but I know where Arizona is on the map........

No problem Paul, you'll love it. Besides, Arizona is a damn big place.

Hey Drew, I figured you'd already had a couple of copies, but I know what you mean about the $$. If the big brown truck shows up at the door one more time this week my wife may get the gun.

(picture smiley wearing stetson) :o

Steve

If the big brown truck shows up at the door one more time this week my wife may get the gun.

I just tell my wife I gotta go out for something and do an intercept of the truck. Alot less hassle that way. (But even then she knows she gets my older toys, which usually prevents problems and actual encouragement for me to buy something new. It is great that she likes the shiny UW photo and video stuff, maybe even more than me :o)

Excellent review and beautiful prose, Steve! I could see you writing a book yourself someday... ;)

My only complaint with the book (I'm about 90% through it now) is that it's damn heavy and hard to hold up to try to read in bed! Then again, maybe I just need to hit the weights... :o

Excellent review and beautiful prose, Steve! I could see you writing a book yourself someday... :o

My only complaint with the book (I'm about 90% through it now) is that it's damn heavy and hard to hold up

Thanks Bruce, I appreciate the kind words. I agree, it is a weighty volume. It should come with it's own Scottevest so we can get it on airplanes.

Cheers,

Steve

Sponsors

Advertisements