waso

What kind of Scorpionfish?

Hi,

I took this picture in Lembeh about 2 month ago.

mg3283scorpionfish.th.jpg

The guides called it 'Yellow Scorpionfish' which is of course not a real ID.

In a book I found something similar called Scorpaenopsis macrochir/Flasher Scorpionfish but it seems that Flasher Scorpionfishes can have very different looks.

Can anyone of you ID this fish?

Thanks

Wahrmut

Scorpaenopsis diabolus ?

Hmm, I don't think so.

I also took pictures from Scorpaenopsis diabolus (white colour) but this one was much smaller and I've never seen the Sc. diabolus in yellow colour. But maybe... :wacko:

Thanks anyway and greetings to my neighbourhood :(

Wahrmut

This scorpionfish from Lembeh was ID'd for me by a knowledgeable guy as likely a Scorpaenopsis macrochir.

Would you say it's similar to yours?

post-6480-1252048735.jpg

I have footage of a couple of similar fish from the Lembeh Strait that I don't have conclusive ID for either. Indo scorpionfish are a bit of a nightmare to ID.

I shot this orange scorpionfish at Hairball:

scorpion-hairball2a.jpg

scorpion-hairball2b.jpg

And I shot this yellow one at Aer Perang:

scorpion-aer-perang1.jpg

scorpion-aer-perang1b.jpg

I'm thinking that the orange one may well be Scorpaenopsis neglecta but that the yellow one may be Scorpaenopsis macrochir, mainly based on info from "Tropical Pacific Reef Fish" book, which says neglecta's head is "not as steep and snout more bumped". The yellow one's head looks sort of steeper.

You have a side view waso?

This scorpionfish from Lembeh was ID'd for me by a knowledgeable guy as likely a Scorpaenopsis macrochir.

Would you say it's similar to yours?

Hmm, actually this one looks a bit like Scorpaenopsis diabolus that was suggested by Michael.

If you look at this fishbase picture it looks quite similar to yours.

But I think it's not the same fish than mine.

Cheers

Wahrmut

Hi Nick,

unfortunately I don't have a side or top view picture - forgot to make doku pictures (that still happens to me sometimes, sh..).

Your yellow one could be the same fish than mine and I had my ID from the 'Tropical Pacific Reef Fish' book as well, the one they had at the Divers Lodge resort.

But Scorpaenopsis neglecta in fishbase looks quite different to your first fish - are you sure?

Cheers

Absolutely not sure! Clutching at straws as ever. I get the feeling it's dangerous to go by colour with scorpionfish because they can change so much.

Sponsors

Advertisements