Sign in to follow this  
MikeO

Great Whites in Massachusetts

My mom lives in Chatham. Seals have been getting hit by white sharks for the last five years or so. I'm wondering when people will start heading out there with cages and cameras. I kayak there quite a bit maybe not this year...

Yep, I saw the footage of the white sharks. They are massive!

I'm wondering when people will start heading out there with cages and cameras.

Probably about the time the average vis increases beyond five feet...

My US geography is pretty average but isn't this close to Martha's Vineyard where Steve Spielberg shot Jaws

Der da der da der da..... da da da da da da da.....

:)

Much of Jaws was indeed filmed on Martha's Vineyard. If memory serves, many of the scenes were shot at state beach. It's not too far from Chatham, if you have a boat.

There is at least one shark boat out of Rhode Island, the Snappa. She ventures from Galilee, RI and typically goes 30-60 miles out. During summer the gulf stream waters bring up a variety of animals, including blue sharks and makos. I've had some very good blue shark encounters from the Snappa. Another plus is that Capt Charlie Donilon looks a bit like Brody. FYI Charlie has seen a few massive great whites, but very rarely. Again, these encounters are way out and in fairly clear waters.

Where there are seals... let's leave them alone and not tempt fate with the great whites.

Edited by DesertEagle

Yeah, the Vineyard isn't far. Neither is Woods Hole, where a 14-footer got stuck in a saltwater pond back in 2004. I saw one about that size about a hundred miles due east of Chatham in 2005, but never saw anything from the shores of Lighthouse Beach or South Beach. I'm going down there this weekend and see if I can spot something from shore.

Pretty cool that they managed to tag five sharks in just a few days. It'll be interesting to see where the sharks go in November and December.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements