MJvC

Picture Styles for 5D Mk2 for U/W video

Hi

I don't know if this topic need its own thread but I could not find any discussion about it?

Has anyone played around with custom Picture Styles on there 5DMk2? Specifically for underwater video and had any good results with adjustments they have made.

Thanks

Hi

I don't know if this topic need its own thread but I could not find any discussion about it?

Has anyone played around with custom Picture Styles on there 5DMk2? Specifically for underwater video and had any good results with adjustments they have made.

Thanks

Here is one that is interesting (not underwater, but in general) called "Flatten Your 5D"

Well this topic is really interesting but in my case I did not had the time yet to research and confirm underwater

other PS then the ones that are build in. From the build in ones I am using landscape so far.

The point of playing with picture styles is to get a specific look. For those who like using post production to color correct (like myself), a linear/flat picture with no sharpening and minimal saturation allows better dynamic range. I would not use HTP but just shoot with the metering. The Magic Lantern firmware allows highlight warning for exposure control.

The point of playing with picture styles is to get a specific look. For those who like using post production to color correct (like myself), a linear/flat picture with no sharpening and minimal saturation allows better dynamic range. I would not use HTP but just shoot with the metering. The Magic Lantern firmware allows highlight warning for exposure control.

The guys over at cinema5D have a whole thread dedicated to this http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=14...t=picture+style . From what I can tell most of the contributors seem to prefer the low contrasts high dynamic range picture styles so they can create the look that each project requires in post with "post friendly footage".

The Magic Lantern firmware allows highlight warning for exposure control.

Hey Drew have you actually tried the Magic lantern Firmware? I am not sure if I am brave enough especially after seeing their video http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_L...n_Firmware_Wiki ! But the highlight warning would be nice...

Yes I have but I cannot endorse anyone from trying it themselves due to the risks of frying the camera. This is definitely something that is AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Drew, have you been shooting underwater video with the 5d MkII yet? If so, what do you think of the image quality? Any aliasing artifacts at wide-angle deep focus field shots? I have not seen any yet on sample underwater footage online. Backscatter's sample looks great.

Pat

The aliasing effect is always there. Just a matter of looking for it. If you're talking about blocking artifacts, then it's better than HDV in that area, but I think the resolution isn't all that great compared to the CCD XHA1.

Sponsors

Advertisements