sailordiver

Whalesharks

Any opinions on the best place to film whalesharks? I'd love to find some in relatively clear water.

Thanks,

Steve

Gladden Spit off the coast of Placencia, Belize is a good place.

from March to April / May is the best time especially around the full moon time.

In addition, Placencia is a great town to stay in.

Daily trips are organised to the marine reserve (can be a 1h to 1h30 trip if rough seas). Marine Reserve usually limits to 3 dive boats at anytime on the site

I have had good Whale Shark encounters in the Malidives but vis was limited.

Galapagos in August at Darwin's Arch. Just got back. We saw 13 whale sharks.

Click the link in my signature to see video from my trip.

Isla Holbox, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

Was there a month ago and spotted 35 whale sharks in a week, not to mention tons of mantas (one was the biggest I've ever seen). Talk to the good people at the Mawimbi resort to schedule a private charter. They swear they've had days with 100+ sightings. The only drawback was somewhat limited visibility. Tip: Bring a full dive skin to get around the wetsuit rule; it's much easier to get down under the shark for those beautiful shots without all the extra buoyancy.

Chris

Was there a month ago and spotted 35 whale sharks in a week, not to mention tons of mantas (one was the biggest I've ever seen). Talk to the good people at the Mawimbi resort to schedule a private charter. They swear they've had days with 100+ sightings. The only drawback was somewhat limited visibility. Tip: Bring a full dive skin to get around the wetsuit rule; it's much easier to get down under the shark for those beautiful shots without all the extra buoyancy.

Chris

Although Isla Holbox is a very popular approach to the Whalesharks, the water is usually green and viz is limited. I've done the Holbox/whaleshark experience many times but two weeks ago I tried a new operation out of Cancun that leaves from Punta Sam. The boat ride was 1hr and we arrived into beautiful clear blue water and there were at least 30 whalesharks. The operator told me that during the peak season, July and August, it is not unusual to see a hundred. I've attached a photo to show you the water clarity. Departing from Punta Sam may be a better option for visability.

Karen

post-17890-1252458458.jpg

Although Isla Holbox is a very popular approach to the Whalesharks, the water is usually green and viz is limited. I've done the Holbox/whaleshark experience many times but two weeks ago I tried a new operation out of Cancun that leaves from Punta Sam. The boat ride was 1hr and we arrived into beautiful clear blue water and there were at least 30 whalesharks. The operator told me that during the peak season, July and August, it is not unusual to see a hundred. I've attached a photo to show you the water clarity. Departing from Punta Sam may be a better option for visability.

Karen

Thanks Karen,

That's some really good visibility... and what a beautiful website you have! What was the dive op out of Punta Sam? I might just run down there right away.

Best,

Steve

Thanks Karen,

That's some really good visibility... and what a beautiful website you have! What was the dive op out of Punta Sam? I might just run down there right away.

Best,

Steve

Steve

No diving is permitted. All snorkeling. The operator is Eco Tours but I think we are at the tail end of the whaleshark season. They stop running on the 15th of this month. If you decide to come down next year, email me and maybe we can plan a whaleshark trip and do some diving together! I'm going to try to do the whalesharks often in June, before it gets too crazy with tourist.

Karen

Gladden Spit off the coast of Placencia, Belize is a good place.

from March to April / May is the best time especially around the full moon time.

In addition, Placencia is a great town to stay in.

Daily trips are organised to the marine reserve (can be a 1h to 1h30 trip if rough seas). Marine Reserve usually limits to 3 dive boats at anytime on the site

I have had good Whale Shark encounters in the Malidives but vis was limited.

Astonishing vdo's....!!!!!! awesome!!! million thanks for sharing!

what are the water and topside temperatures?

which operator did u join?

many thanks!

Edited by lonelycat

Chris

I must be wicked hot in Holbox in July-Sept? Roughly, how much would a private charter of say 4 people cost? I've been looking into that area to photo the whale sharks.

Thanks

Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras.

Good visibility, inexpensive diving.

Have you been here? How was the diving? How many whale sharks? What time of year did you go?

Thanks,

Edited by WanderingBob

Sponsors

Advertisements