Sign in to follow this  
pdabill

How to improve a low quality still frame taken from a video clip?

I have a panasonic Lumix fx37 compact digital camera with an underwater housing. I have been using it for a couple months to make some videos of our fishing and spearfishing trips in SE florida. I have been capturing still photos from the video when there is a great shot. For example, here is a still shot from a video I just made of a sailfish:

3.jpg

I have a macbook with iMovie and iPhoto, and all I have really tried to do with my pictures is use the basic photo editing tools in iPhoto. Results have not been very impressive.

Can you recommend other software or techniques to improve an image like the one I posted above? I realize you can only do so much with a low quality image, but maybe you have some ideas that will work better than the iPhoto tools?

Thanks

This is a pretty monochromatic image; I think your best bet is to convert it to black and white.

This is a pretty monochromatic image; I think your best bet is to convert it to black and white.

Thanks for the idea loftus. Also, can anyone recommend a free mac application to add special effects to photos? Looking for more effects than what iPhoto offers.

you can download gimp. its a linux (i think?) based program and will open inside X11 on the mac. it makes the interface a little odd to get used to but its about 85% of the functions of photoshop for free.

Mike

Low Res images will not print very very well, but may be of some use on Web sites. In the example above, I think the image needs the contrast enhanced, optionally you could decide to remove or leave in the white things on the surface of the water, and the image could do with a little sharpening.

Just a thought.

post-22576-1254144561.jpg

Low Res images will not print very very well, but may be of some use on Web sites. In the example above, I think the image needs the contrast enhanced, optionally you could decide to remove or leave in the white things on the surface of the water, and the image could do with a little sharpening.

Just a thought.

post-22576-1254144561.jpg

thanks! just downloaded the image you made and it looks much better. Appreciate the ideas.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements