Sign in to follow this  
edwin van riel

cp5000/ ambient light / white balance

I want to use my cp5000 (ikelite housing) without flash next week to get some backscatter-free shark images. Depth weill be around 5 meter. Anybody tried this? Should I use automatic exposure? What setting for white balance works best?

Mauricio Handler did some about a year back with sharks that had very nice results.

Does anyone have experience using any filters with either the Ike 5000 or the Aquatica A5000? Interested mainly in use with WC-E68 w/ WA port for both housings.

Thanks,

CeeDave

(see also ambient light thread in tips and techniques)

You could try setting the function button to control white balance, and then bracketing with white balance. Maybe go with S mode, and allow the camera to pick aperture. If you're shooting sharks, you're probably going to want fast shutter speeds

You will need a special filter holder if you want to use it with the CP5000 and WC-E68 setup.

Remember, it's a dome port and neither the front of the port or the front of the lens are threaded.

HTH

James

You will need a special filter holder if you want to use it with the CP5000 and WC-E68 setup.

James,

Any hints on a good start in finding/fabricating such a filter holder? For example, the CoolFix guy has a clip-on filter ring for the WC-E68, but (because I am still shopping) I have no idea whether the clip and 82mm filter would fit inside either the A5000 or Ike 5000 port. Or is it better to use a gell right behind the face of the port?

I'm just trying to sort out the merits of the two housing prior to purchase ... right now the Ike seems to win on flexibility and the A5000 on compactness/aesthetics.

(referenced site CoolFix stuff)

Hmm

I think your best bet would be to get the camera first. See if you can get a filter in the correct size to mount between the camera's extension ring and the WC-e68 lens.

If that doesn't work, then you can try a Cokin filter holder on the outside of your dome port.

Cheers

James

I had problems white balancing with my Nikon 5000. It seems if your in a low light situation the camera will not give you a different balance. Not so with my older Nikon 990 in the same conditions. It was frustrating because I couldn’t see the color change on the monitor clearly till I reveiwed them later on my monitor at home. I suggest changing the ISO rating to a higher setting before you white balance if you encounter the same problem. I did use a UR-Pro filter mounted on the outside of the housing, but most often I balanced with out one.

Marc

You can shoot the 5000 in RAW and then whitebalance after the dive on your computer using Adobe Camera Raw. I think this is a better technique than preset WB underwater, as it changes by the minute if it's cloudy or if you rotate 180 degrees underwater.

Cheers

James

None of the "clip on" filter holders (coolfix, nextphoto, etc.) for the 19mm will fit behind the A5000 port. Can't you cut a gel filter to fit BEHIND the 19mm kinda like the filter in older 35mm long telephotos where there was a filter holder in the back of the lens.

None of the "clip on" filter holders (coolfix, nextphoto, etc.) for the 19mm will fit behind the A5000 port. Can't you cut a gel filter to fit BEHIND the 19mm kinda like the filter in older 35mm long telephotos where there was a filter holder in the back of the lens.

This is one solution that occurred to me (for either the Ike or A5000 housing). I've been trying to sort this out before choosing, but ultimately (as JamesW suggested) it may be best just to get the kit and futz around to see what works.

Anyone know if the Ikelite 5000 dome port would accomodate the Coolfix clip w/ filter(s)?

Thanks.

If you put a screw-on filter between the 19mm lens and the barrel mount, you will mess up the sharpness of the lens. I tried using the adapter with a UV filter for lens protection, then screwing the WE-68 lens on top of that for WA shots (topside of course) and found that the WA shots were 'screwed up'. Sorry, can't remember exactly what went wrong, but it seems moving that lens away from the adapter is not a good idea.

Anyone else have this problem?

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements