Sign in to follow this  
Drew

Leica M9 and X1: 2 new cameras from the German brand

Leica has released a full frame rangefinder, an 18mp camera called the M9. The new camera has a new sensor layout and can be used with the M series of lenses with no issues.

Of course, the price of entry is $6995 (from Amazon) which puts it in the D3x and 1Ds territory. It's not really for underwater use, but I still think these are the ultimate PJ people cameras, being so tiny and unobstrusive.

The smaller Leica X1 is a 12.2mp APS-C camera with a 24mm Elmarit lens built in. Reputedly using the internals of the Panasonic GF1 with a bigger sensor, the mini-Leica goes for $1995. Personally, I don't know what to make of this camera, but some marketing guy must've found a niche somewhere for it.

Leica has released a full frame rangefinder, an 18mp camera called the M9. The new camera has a new sensor layout and can be used with the M series of lenses with no issues.

Of course, the price of entry is $6995 (from Amazon) which puts it in the D3x and 1Ds territory. It's not really for underwater use, but I still think these are the ultimate PJ people cameras, being so tiny and unobstrusive.

The smaller Leica X1 is a 12.2mp APS-C camera with a 24mm Elmarit lens built in. Reputedly using the internals of the Panasonic GF1 with a bigger sensor, the mini-Leica goes for $1995. Personally, I don't know what to make of this camera, but some marketing guy must've found a niche somewhere for it.

Yes, this is the full-frame digital rangefinder I lust after. Why couldn't Nikon / Canon have done this at half the price?

Nikon or Canon could have done it, but then it wouldn't be Leica quality. You have to pay for that.

Nikon or Canon could have done it, but then it wouldn't be Leica quality. You have to pay for that.

Hmm, the Leica M-mount looks a lot like a Nikonos mount, and has nearly the same FFD... How hard would it be to waterproof an M9 and change the lens mount to work with a Nikonos 15mm lens? (okay, maybe that comment belongs in the "unrequited gear lust" forum)

On another note, have we agreed that mirrorless cameras with large sensors and interchangeable lenses belong in the SLR forum because the cost/IQ/port issues are more similar to SLRs than to digicams? Or is the SLR forum strictly for cameras with mirrorboxes?

Edited by davelew

Yes, this is the full-frame digital rangefinder I lust after. Why couldn't Nikon / Canon have done this at half the price?

That's because they haven't figured out how to market and charge 400% premiums on their products :)

It's not really for underwater use

If anyone can figure a way of using an M Leica underwater I'd be very, very impressed. In the past housings have been built (by R G Lewis in London for screw thread Leicas and even by ELCan - E Leitz Canada - now Raytheon owned I believe) but I would imagine that they were an absolute nightmare to use, rangefinders just aren't designed for underwater use. The M9 is 18MPixel and has no anti-aliasing filter - wonderful, but NOT for underwater!

Awww come on Paul, don't you wish you can focus on the whale by fusing the dual images as it storms at you at 12 knots? :)

I'm going to remove the AA filter on my 1Ds to see if there's a difference. Craig did it on his and hasn't reported back on the results yet.

If anyone can figure a way of using an M Leica underwater I'd be very, very impressed. In the past housings have been built (by R G Lewis in London for screw thread Leicas and even by ELCan - E Leitz Canada - now Raytheon owned I believe) but I would imagine that they were an absolute nightmare to use, rangefinders just aren't designed for underwater use. The M9 is 18MPixel and has no anti-aliasing filter - wonderful, but NOT for underwater!

Not still looking through eye-pieces are you Paul? I'd have thought you'd know where to point your camera by now!

Craig did it on his and hasn't reported back on the results yet.

His images are up and sure look good.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements