Sign in to follow this  
secretsea18

An unusual squat lobster

Hi all,

On a Philippines dive trip last week, I came upon an unusual hairy small squat lobster. It was on a rope sponge at ~50 ft. There are no barrel sponges in the entire dive site. It initially looked white on the first images I took (only two) as I was summoned to another great find by the guide, and had no idea what I had found until later reviewing the images. Subsequently on a repeat dive to the site, I found the slightly pinkish rope sponge again and after diligently searching, found the little guy (~1cm long) again for more photos. This time he was in a better spot on the rope sponge.

Although it initally looked whitish with red dots, it now seems to be slightly peach colored with the red dots I saw initally. It looks like a hairy Saigiani but is on a different host, and the dots are certainly in different places, especially noted on the pincers.

Does anyone know this animal, or have help to identify it???

Thanks all,

Robin :)

post-8189-1252959316.jpg

Hmmmm...... over a week has passed. Has anybody seen one of these before? Please help.

Edited by secretsea18

I haven't or I would have posted. It is very unusual. The spots are really different, but it appears to be in the Laureia genus. It is very interesting! I'll see if I can find someone to look at it.sent to Greg Jensen.....Calling Leslie!

Cheers,

Marli

Edited by scubamarli

Greg Jensen has identified this as Lauriea gardineri.

Cheers,

Marli

Dear Marli,

Thank you for taking the time to send to your friend Greg.

I googled Lauriea gardineri, and found nearly nothing about the squat lobster, except for a bunch of taxonomic stuff, and no images. Could you please ask Greg for more information about this little guy, as it must be rather uncommon at least in the Philippines where I was diving, and I'd like more information about them. Perhaps he might recommend a reference or site I can look into further.

Thanks again,

Robin

Greg mentioned that he had never seen it, but that the spots are indicative. With rare or "newer" animals, there often aren't online references except taxonomic papers.

Marli

Greg mentioned that he had never seen it, but that the spots are indicative. With rare or "newer" animals, there often aren't online references except taxonomic papers

Here you go - 2 images, not so great, but showing matching spots on the major chela & body --

http://www.izuzuki.com/Zukan/Other/Kou/koshioriABsp6.html

http://www4.plala.or.jp/campbelli/hidumekoshioriebi.htm

Thank you so much....

It appears that the the second reference shows the little guy on a barrel type sponge, rather than the rope sponge host I found mine on. Sure do look similar, though.

Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements