Sign in to follow this  
ReelBruin

How fast can a DS50 synch?

Ok, how fast can a DS-50 synch? I ask because I'm curious if a Nikon CP5000 with a DS-50 can sych the strobe faster than 1/60. If not, it seems to me that shooting in shutter priority mode would be convenient, rather than manual mode.

Thanks!

It's not the strobe. It's the camera that controlls the max synch speed. As the 5000 has an electronic shutter it will synch real fast. Not sure of the max number.

Of course it might also be useful to know how long it takes for a full dump of the strobe ... especially for more distant objects where the flash isn't powerful enough to get an "optimal" exposure anyway ...

Well, I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what is comparable result between configurations, such as how would the same shot with my CP 5000 and Nikonos V compare at some set confirugation, say ISO 100, 1/125, f 6 (for example)...since I'm transitioning, and I don't want to waste my upcoming dives in HI. I'm used to synching the Nikonos V at 1/90 for my wide angle stuff, but now that I can synch faster (apparently), what's optimal?

Is it better to bracket shutter speed, aperture? What about ISO? Does it matter with high resolution? Or is it better to specify shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and bracket strobe outpout? Hmmmm! The possibilities are endless....

And the answer is...

According to Ikelite (whom I spoke to), the fastest shutter the DS-50 synchs with is 1/250th.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements