matt215

Time Consuming Hobby

I'm just curious, how much time do you spend on this hobby/obsession? i'm talking taking images, processing and editing images, travel, gear maintenance, and doing your homework to educate yourself. Is it consuming? Is it a marriage destroyer?

Personally, I spend a few hours a week editing, organizing, and processing images. I read photography "stuff" a couple of hours a week, and I take 2-3 big dive ttips a year. I also do a fair amount of non-UW photography, so that contributes to the time as well.

I'd just like to know how much time other photographers spend engaged in this activity...

too much. Sometimes a large trip can have as many as 2500 photos to go through and find the keepers. Post processing can take me months because, like you, I have other commitments. My goal has been to get so good at taking UW photos that the post processing doesn't take that long. Unfortunately its a nice goal but I'm nowhere near achieving it.

It is a time consuming hobby, but a great one. I spend hours editing and as I shoot year round, it is most of my spare time.

Two programmes that have made it less time consuming (I actually cook dinner occasionally) is Lightroom for its cataloging and Marine Life Keywords.....

i currently use aperture for editing/organizing, but i may have to look at those because the number of photos is getting out of hand...

I'm with Alex. Last April we went to Bonaire for three weeks - I shot about 2500 frames, culled it down to maybe 20 real keepers and another 180 or so I didn't mind squatting on my hard drive. If the delete button still has the lettering on it, you're not using it enough!

Lee

I find the delete button on my computer a most useful accessory. Shoot a lot, cull a lot.

Alex

Before I ever started underwater photography I attended a Stephen Frink photo class at a local event. I didn't remember much but I do remember his first statement. If you're going to start digital photography, you need to learn how to be a brutal editor and cull everything that's not good. A little tougher job for someone who doesn't hit the ocean that much but still an important one.

I'm just curious, how much time do you spend on this hobby/obsession? i'm talking taking images, processing and editing images, travel, gear maintenance, and doing your homework to educate yourself. Is it consuming? Is it a marriage destroyer?

Personally, I spend a few hours a week editing, organizing, and processing images. I read photography "stuff" a couple of hours a week, and I take 2-3 big dive ttips a year. I also do a fair amount of non-UW photography, so that contributes to the time as well.

I'd just like to know how much time other photographers spend engaged in this activity...

Obsession is right. We do 2 big and 2 small dive trips per year and dive locally in the Channel Islands every three weeks or so. I am about a year behind in cataloging and editing and am going to the Philippines in 6 weeks or so and then will be even more behind. The main problem is that my day job is lately way too busy and I also spend far too much time looking at Wetpixel, but am having fun.

Too much time?? What about not enough time? As one who is like many (most?) on this site and has a traditional work schedule and doesn't exactly live within walking distance of the water, I'd love to spend more time diving, taking pictures, fine-tuning the best shots, posting, publishing, etc. It's enough to make retirement almost enticing?

I keep everything. It's amazing how so many editors actively seek mediocrity. I guess they feel comfortable with it. Hence my reply to many enquiries: You want shit? No problem. I've got tons of it!

Edited by John Bantin

I'm finding that I am spending too much time at work and not enough time behind a viewfinder - hopefully I will be starting a new job that is 14 days on/14 days off which will give me plenty of time for trips to Indonesia, and the six weeks annual leave will give me plenty of time for a couple of big trips to the Red Sea.

I'm finding that I am spending too much time at work and not enough time behind a viewfinder - hopefully I will be starting a new job that is 14 days on/14 days off which will give me plenty of time for trips to Indonesia, and the six weeks annual leave will give me plenty of time for a couple of big trips to the Red Sea.

Bitch (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

I only wish. I have 5 weeks vacation (which is a lot in the U.S.) and might move to a new job where I get only 2. Trouble.

Bill

I keep everything. It's amazing how so many editors actively seek mediocrity. I guess they feel comfortable with it. Hence my reply to many enquiries: You want shit? No problem. I've got tons of it!

Ha - I love your posts John - should you ever run short of $hit pictures to sell I have a hard drive full - think I may need to delete more ;)

Paul C

Bitch (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

I only wish. I have 5 weeks vacation (which is a lot in the U.S.) and might move to a new job where I get only 2. Trouble.

Bill

LOL - I thought I might get a reaction like that. The new job does have it's downsides - sitting on a big mechano set 300 feet above the sea surface and 200 miles from shore while pumping huge volumes of flammable gases and liquids isn't for everyone - especially as you have to use something that defies all known laws of physics, gravity and flight to get to work for your two week stint.

Hi Matt!

Ever tought of getting You'r wife involved with UW photography? It worked like a charm for me :)

No problems spending days for editing (since she's on half of the pictures), no problems using credit card for buying new photo gear etc.

Try to turn the table man ;)

she gives me the "ok" for my trips, but she's not interested. I return form trips with all these cool pics of sharks, mantas, eels, etc and she thinks the pelican at the dock is the best?!

she gives me the "ok" for my trips, but she's not interested. I return form trips with all these cool pics of sharks, mantas, eels, etc and she thinks the pelican at the dock is the best?!

Heheee... You can't argue over taste ;)

Has she ever tryed scuba? I don't think You should force her into anything, but on the other hand I urge people to try things before saying it's not for them.

photos are the quick and easy one to cull and select, i can usually do a day's worth of photos in Lightroom in a about an hour... not the keywording mind you..

on the other hand... i have been in Lembeh for a year, and still haven't produced a video ;) video editing sucks big time!

on the other hand... i have been in Lembeh for a year, and still haven't produced a video ;) video editing sucks big time!

This is a 'when I was" post so you may not want to read it.

When I was making TV commercials I used to reckon a time ratio of preproduction/production/post production of 2/1/10. That is to say it takes ten times as long to edit than to shoot and only twice as long to prepare. Amateur video owners think that finished programmes are simply going to fall out of the back of their cameras.

Edited by John Bantin

Sponsors

Advertisements