Sign in to follow this  
fireted

New 20D with Ikelite housing Lens suggestions

My Car Insurance company, has just now decided to close my claim/file on some of my damaged UW photo gear.

They replaced my Ikelite housing and purchased me a new 20D. They did however order the wrong port.

So as it stands right now. None of my current lens ( what's left from the accident ) 50mm f1.8, 17-85 USMis & 75-300 usm fit the 5503 port they sent with the housing...

So, what is the board consensus. Looking for some Lens suggestions that would work equally well underwater and topside. Shooting 50% Pacific Northwest waters , %25 Caribbean and %25 South Pacific/elsewhere.

I do not have any strobes as I shoot mainly ambient light.

Thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

I started with the 5503 port as well, if fact, it is still the one I use most - in addition to a flat port for macro. Anyway, I shoot the same %'s as you do and in the same places (I'm in BC) and have found that both the Sigma (or Canon) 15mm (2.8) fisheye and Canon's 28/1.8 to be great lenses for available light shooting. Obviously, the 28 is not very wide on a 1.6 crop (I shoot with a 30D), but it is fast and did catch my most favourite u/w image to date. Also, while I have not tried one yet, some folks do shoot the Tokina 10-17 fisheye behind the 5503 - one does have to remove the port shade, though.

Lastly, the 15 fish works really well - as you'd expect and the 28/1.8 does very well as is - no diopters required as far as I'm concerned. You might also want to check Ikelite's pages for more info on what lenses can be used with the 5503 port.

Hope this helps. Happy lens hunting!

Lee

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements