anthp

What teleconverter for the Nikon 10.5 mm fisheye

I'd really like to mount a teleconverter behind my Nikon 10.5 DX fisheye.

I remember I tried one of the new model Kenko's once with the 10.5 and my D200 and it had trouble focusing so I sold it again.

I'd be so grateful if those of you who have tried any teleconverter could let me know which makes and models you have had success with.

It would be awesome to know whether anyone is using it behind the standard Ikelite fisheye 8" dome extension.

Thanks all.

Hi Antony

I use the Kenko 1.4 with both the Nikkor 10.5mm and the Tokina 10-17mm. No problems. I'm using the Subal 8" DWP-FE dome port and a 15mm extension ring. Works a charm.

Thanks for the reply Tim.

Which 1.4 Kenko was it?

Is it this one?

371026.jpg

Cheers mate,

Anth.

That's the one I use. The Kenko 1.5 is reportedly inferior to this one.

Why would you use one on a DX body?

Good question Mariozi.

When you put a teleconverter behind a fisheye, it multiplies the focal length by the teleconversion factor.

This means that a 10 mm lens with a 1.4 teleconverter becomes a 14 mm lens - ie. slightly less wide. Why would you want that?

Well, the really nifty thing is that the minimum focusing distance remains the same as the original uncoverted lens.

The result is that the magnification you can achieve of a subject really close to the lens is greater (in this case 1.4 times greater) than the 'naked' lens alone. You can use the combination of a teleconverter and a fisheye to shoot really really close 'close focus wide angle' photos.

As an example, think of something like seastar roughly the same size as your average still camera. You can now pretty much fill the frame with the seastar, but still get some of the background environment in the shot. Sure, you can make this same shot with a naked 10 mm, but with a teleconverter, your seastar can be 1.4 times bigger in the frame.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, Anthony, that's the one: mine is a Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 Kenko N-AF.

Catchy name.....

Thanks for your help everyone. Ordering now... ;)

Hi all,

Im quiet interesting too in tis topic.

The use of a teleconverter is clear. What isn't clear is that when I look at the Nikon website, it seems that a teleconverter and the 10.5 fisheye are not working together.

I attached the nikon overview, just in case...: Nikon overview

Could somebody explain why/why not etc etc.

(btw, I own a Ikelite housing and a d300)

cheers,

marco

Hi all,

Im quiet interesting too in tis topic.

The use of a teleconverter is clear. What isn't clear is that when I look at the Nikon website, it seems that a teleconverter and the 10.5 fisheye are not working together.

I attached the nikon overview, just in case...: Nikon overview

Could somebody explain why/why not etc etc.

(btw, I own a Ikelite housing and a d300)

cheers,

marco

Teleconvertors are really designed for use with longer lenses, not wide angles or fisheyes; so the way we use them for underwater is not a generally intended use. I don't own a 1.4 Nikon tc or 10.5 anymore, but I believe with the arrangement of the lens elements etc, the Nikon TC may actually not even fit with the 10.5. The Kenko TC on the other hand, will fir, and will work.

Teleconvertors are really designed for use with longer lenses, not wide angles or fisheyes; so the way we use them for underwater is not a generally intended use. I don't own a 1.4 Nikon tc or 10.5 anymore, but I believe with the arrangement of the lens elements etc, the Nikon TC may actually not even fit with the 10.5. The Kenko TC on the other hand, will fir, and will work.

Thanks for the explanation! I know what will be in my shoppingbasket next time i virtually shop :D

The 10.5 is such a fine piece of glass but find the angle slightly too wide for the way I want to use it (underwater portrets)

Cheers!

marco

Sponsors

Advertisements