auder

Mask for SLR photographers

Hello divers,

I own a Nikon D80 with Sea&Sea DX-D80 housing, and use the Mares X-Vision mask.

This is an excelent mask, but I really can't see the whole frame through the finder :)

So, the question is:

What is the best mask to use with SLR housings? (for those who do not wish to invest in a magnifying viewfinder, of course)

Thank you ;)

Auder Lisboa

UW Photographer from Brazil

Hello divers,

This is an excelent mask, but I really can't see the whole frame through the finder :)

So, the question is:

What is the best mask to use with SLR housings? (for those who do not wish to invest in a magnifying viewfinder, of course)

Thank you ;)

Auder Lisboa

Ola Auder,

I have not found a mask that really works with the newer DSLR camera housings. As you probably know, it is the eye-point or eye relief of the small view finders. By way of example, I use the Nikon D80 which has an eye-point of 19.5 mm. If you are within 19.5 mm of the view finder, you will see 100% of the 96% view finder image coverage. So, if I could mush my eye flush with the back of the housing and the viewfinder to back of the housing is <= 19.5 mm ... well you get the idea. Nikon once made high eye-point viewfinders for their F3, F4, and F5 cameras. The DA2 on my F4 has 61 mm eye relief.

Bob

Hello divers,

So, the question is:

Thank you ;)

Auder Lisboa

drumroll please....... the aqualung micromask, best mask ever. its so low volume, it looks almost like big swim goggles with a nose pocket stickign out. at first the windows look a little small but they're so close to your eyes the FOV is great. you can get your eye right up to the viewfinder. in fact, if its ever so slightly crooked on your face, your eyelashes will be batting against the glass.

i saw it in a dive shop in florida 2 days after it first came out and bought it on the spot. now every instructor at my local shop dives it. whatever you get, be sure its low volume and black, clear masks let in too much stray light for peering into a small viewfinder. cheers,

chris

I love my TUSA Liberators. I originally got it for freediving but wear it for all diving. They are very low volume and comfortable. I'm on my 3rd one, after trying & buying many others that fit great in the dive shop but always seemed to develop a small drip leak over my right eye. I only bought this 3rd one specifically for the black silicone and keep the others in my dive bag for spares.

IMHO, splurge and buy yourself a magnifying viewfinder. Its so well worth the money and the best thing you can do to improve your vision UW.

Cressi Big Eyes. I had a lot of problem getting a mask to fit and with it's low volume I can see the viewfinder on my D80 pretty well.

Jack

I'm pretty sure, this question was answered before.

my criteria:

-mask fits your face (this is #1 for any mask)

-black silicone skirt (knocks most of the glare down, much easier to look through the view finder)

-low volume (glass is closer to your eyes, good peripheral vision, easier to clear)

One other note:

some of the ultra-low volume freediving masks have molded plastic lenses which might be more easily scratched the the standard tempered glass lenses that most masks have.

For me, the Cressi-sub Super Occhio works best.

For you, go to your local dive store and try on low volume masks.

take care,

ChrisS

So, the question is:

I can't remember the name but I use a mask from a small manufacturer in California - low volume, black silicone and a purge valve which comes in handy when the hands are full and you get those little annoying leaks.

I can't remember the name but I use a mask from a small manufacturer in California - low volume, black silicone and a purge valve which comes in handy when the hands are full and you get those little annoying leaks.

Sounds good! But, what's the name?

I have a low volume, black mask ... that leaks. Even after shaving off all facial hair!

Almost any freediving mask - get the glass as close to your eyes as possible. The overall angle of view of the mask is not significant w.r.t the camera viewfinder. I have been using Cressi Super Ochio for many years (which also has an excellent viewing angle).

Also consider the regulator second stage. Some second stages sit high by resting against your chin and get in the way of pulling the camera housing tight against your mask.

Sounds good! But, what's the name?

I have a low volume, black mask ... that leaks. Even after shaving off all facial hair!

Hi Bob,

The manufacturer is a company called Ocean Master - Ocean Master - they are in Los Angeles, about 2/3rds of a mile from Union Station

for many years now the Scubapro frameless has been the standard for me. Low volume, black skirt (don't like stray light entering mask when shooting) and wide field of view forward.

I will echo Walt to a degree - I use a Oceanic Shadow which is very similar to the Scubapro - 1 window frameless mask - the lack of frame allows the glass to be very close to your eye and I have never had a problem seeing through the viewfinder of my aquatica. I know many photogs who praise this mask for camera use.

cheers!

-MDP

I will echo Walt to a degree - I use a Oceanic Shadow which is very similar to the Scubapro - 1 window frameless mask -

Ditto on the Oceanic Shadow. it's a great mask for uw photographers.

But I also would encourage you to save your $$$ for the magnifying viewfinder. I bought it even though I was hesitant to spend the extra $$ and I've never regretted it. I've found it makes it so much easier to see through the viewfinder that I can't imagine being without it.

Ellen

Well, I go pick up my first set of (sniffle) bifocal lenses for my glasses this weekend. Which means I can no longer accomodate near vision with my full prescription correction for nearsightedness, and will have to ditch the Hydrooptix mask. (I know the HO was not a good 'photographers choice' for many, being higher volume, but as mostly a live-view shooter it worked for me up to this point).

So....at the risk of derailing the thread a little (perhaps steering it into a side-track would be a better analogy), who here has mask recommendations for those with severe nearsightedness and (potentially) bifungle requirements?

I'm thinking underwater I can moderate my prescription a bit (don't know the formula off the top of my head, but sure I can find it) which will help a tad. Biggest concern is field of view - flat masks near to the eye have reasonable field of view, but adding optical correction for nearsightedness decreases that drastically. I really did find the HO was a HUGE difference in seeing a dive site vs. a dive site with blinders on. I know FOV "doesn't matter" when looking thru a viewfinder (or at a tiny screen on the back of your camera), but it makes a big difference in overall situational awareness (thus perceived safety, buddy tracking, etc) and in spotting things to shoot in the first place!!

Suggestions welcome, meanwhile gonna re-read this thread from the beginning and start making a list of masks to test out next trip to ScubaToys.....

Atomic Ultraclear black frameless :) VERY low volume, VERY clear :) Black skirt :)

One more vote for the Cressi Super Ochio. As it has been said before, I think the key is that it has to fit your face, be low volume, and have black silicone.

Another vote for Atomic Ultraclear black frameless. Just started using one and glad it fit. Am adding DiveOptx wet magnifiers for gauge and dial reading. Replaced Sea Visions "gauge reader" mask. Love the large view and ultra low volume.

Since I am nearsighted AND use progressive bifocals, when diving I wear contacts to correct my nearsightedness and the Seavision GaugeReader mask which is quite excellent for seeing those tiny menu items in the LCD and the information bar in the bottom of the viewfinder of my D300.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SVNGR.html

My brother-in-law has the Sherwood Mag Four which also seems quite nice.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-53/029748/...eader-Mask.html

Edited by johnspierce

Atomic Ultraclear black frameless ;) VERY low volume, VERY clear :) Black skirt :blush:

Second This.

:)

Atomic ultraclear black frameless and I used prescriptiondivemasks.com in San Diego to install executive style readers.

Elmer

Sponsors

Advertisements