Sign in to follow this  
Turbo

new camera time 50d, need housing help

hi everyone, my last camera flooded during a cave dive. it got bumped and then came the bubbles. it was a cannon 20d with and ikelite housing and strobe. im pretty angry with my self but it was on a cavedive and i guess these things happen. so ive desided that im goin to be getting a 50d and was wondering how the different housings stand by each other. i am looking for durablity as i expect the housing to be getting bumped around abit.

i have always like my ikelite however after thiss it has come to my attention that i would like somthing alittle more rugged. what do you guys think of the Aquatica 40D Underwater Housing for Canon 40D? all imput welcome

edit: i shoot mostly macro so i will need automatic flash (ttl or ittl cant remember which)

Edited by Turbo

where did it get bumped and flood? the port? seems to me the weakest point in most housings. i can't really compare durability but i like my d200 aquatica and its definilty taken a few beatings, mostly on the boat though. the port can be a little loose, though their newer housings have a port lock. doesn't look like the 40D has one though, and it says discontinued on the website. surprised they didn't make a 50D housing.

their newest housings (D700, 5dmkII) are a different breed, gone one-up on craftsmanship, or so i hear from a very credible source.

any aluminum housing will likely be more compact than your ikelite. durability wise, i'm not sure, if you plan on smashing cave formations with it, maybe get a surf housing ;) j/k

someone else with more cross-brand experience may be able to help on the beatability comparison of housings.....

I have the nexus housing for the 50D and it's really compact and lighter than most other housings including ikelite. There are some minor issues with loading the camera and using the 100mm macro lens as well as having no hot shoe mount for a focus/target light but overall a very nice housing and it offers a really small and compact dome for the tokina 10-17mm FE. I think it's quite hard to get support for this housing in the US compared to Aquatica and Sea & Sea/

If I'm not mistaken, the 50D will fit in most, if not all, 40D housings. I have a Subal and love it. A fellow wetpixelian has a Sea and Sea and loves his. Yet another has an Aquatica. Best bet is see if you can get to a shop that has a couple different housings and play around with them, see how they feel. Then it's just a question of $$ ;)

Phil

If I'm not mistaken, the 50D will fit in most, if not all, 40D housings. I have a Subal and love it. A fellow wetpixelian has a Sea and Sea and loves his. Yet another has an Aquatica. Best bet is see if you can get to a shop that has a couple different housings and play around with them, see how they feel. Then it's just a question of $$ :)

Phil

I just picked up an Aquatica 40D housing yesterday for my 50D, I upgraded from a D350DX S&S which provided me with excellent service for several years, main reason for upgrade was the depth rating on the Aquatica, as I'm now regularly taking photo's in the 80-100 mtr range.

Unfortunately it will be several months before I get it wet.

Stuey

though their newer housings have a port lock. doesn't look like the 40D has one though, and it says discontinued on the website. surprised they didn't make a 50D housing.

I have an Aquatica 40D housing. It will accept either my 40D or my 50D. It does have a port lock - although I don't use it, as it just locks the first extension ring. If you don't use an extension ring, it will indeed lock the port. I suspect that all port locks are this way.

It has been discontinued - you will have to purchase one in the after-market.

TomC

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements