Sign in to follow this  
sideways

Thinking of making the DSLR leap...HELP!!

What are your thoughts?? Any pitfalls or things I should be aware of??

Hi Greg,

I'm still setting it all up! I've just wired up the flashes to it all but not got them working with the camera yet, had the D90 instruction book out and I think I've got to play with "commander" mode? any idea of that one..anyone? I got 2 gears one for each lens but one fits both so I dont know why I've got 2 of them as they also seem identical? I'm gonna see about sending one back

Hi Greg,

I'm still setting it all up! I've just wired up the flashes to it all but not got them working with the camera yet, had the D90 instruction book out and I think I've got to play with "commander" mode? any idea of that one..anyone? I got 2 gears one for each lens but one fits both so I dont know why I've got 2 of them as they also seem identical? I'm gonna see about sending one back

Hmmm... I'll have to try the gears, I only put the tokina gear on so far, had to tighten screws to snug it up. I hadn't heard of the "Commander" mode...LOL. I'll have to look it up. I did notice last night, I took a couple indoor pics with flash and my tokina on, subject was about a foot away, and they both came out blurry :uwphotog: More experimentation is needed.

Edited by sideways

I havent fixed my dome on yet! still trying with the flashes and macro, today I've converted a small built in wardrobe into a "camera booth" for all my stuff, its dead cool!!

I havent fixed my dome on yet! still trying with the flashes and macro, today I've converted a small built in wardrobe into a "camera booth" for all my stuff, its dead cool!!

Haha... you're a step ahead of me, my stuff hasn't left the dining room table, to my gals dismay, since it arrived earlier in the week :uwphotog:

Haha... you're a step ahead of me, my stuff hasn't left the dining room table, to my gals dismay, since it arrived earlier in the week :blink:

THats where mine was too, I didnt think it fair to leave iut there for any longer (due to the excessive amount of brownie points I used up!) thats why I did this camera booth thing!

OK!! time for stoopid question #254 Being new to DSLR, it's daunting to say the least in terms of how many potential leak points I have now compared to my DX-1G. so....

1. If your diving multiple days, will you leave an extension ring on? A shade on a port? Of course you'll always soak your rig in fresh H2O after every dive, but is it essential to dissasemble a shade or extension when you're going out the next morning? My thought it that the Oring won't be dried out.

Yeah... nOOb question.... :)

OK!! time for stoopid question #254 Being new to DSLR, it's daunting to say the least in terms of how many potential leak points I have now compared to my DX-1G. so....

1. If your diving multiple days, will you leave an extension ring on? A shade on a port? Of course you'll always soak your rig in fresh H2O after every dive, but is it essential to dissasemble a shade or extension when you're going out the next morning? My thought it that the Oring won't be dried out.

Yeah... nOOb question.... :)

Yes, yes and yes. Search topics on this subject to get more opinions, but as a novice I took the whole kit apart after each dive and re-greased until I dove with some pros on a liveaboard and realized I was over doing it.

Yes, yes and yes. Search topics on this subject to get more opinions, but as a novice I took the whole kit apart after each dive and re-greased until I dove with some pros on a liveaboard and realized I was over doing it.

Well that's good too hear!!! It's not a question of laziness, it's a question of.. "The more times I mess with stuff, the more chance I'll screw up..." :)

I'll search a bit and see what I can find... Gracias!

Edit... after searching I found a couple great threads!! Thanks a bunch!

Greg

Edited by sideways

Well.... the new rig did aces on the pool test! Here she is.

cam31of1.jpg

cam61of1.jpg

cam11of1.jpg

Thanks again everyone for helping to deplete my bank account!!!!!!!! :blush:

Awesome Dave, I'll get mine up next week ;)

Love them cushions :blush:

I think I found a solution too a couple issues. First, and inexpensive light for a focus light and mount, and utilizing the same mount for my primary light for night and cenote dives :) I hit a local plastics place and rummaged through their scrap bins. I found some black acrylic. Together with some stainless bolts and lock nuts I was able to devise this set up. Both lights when mounted will swivel snuggly :) Total cost of project... $7 (light was $25)

light11of1.jpg

light21of1.jpg

light51of1.jpg

light31of1.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements