imasleeper

New Canon 100mm 2.8L Macro IS potential issue with teleconvertors

Just received the new Canon 100mm 2.8L Macro IS lens. With my 1Ds MKII, the focus on my copy is fast and accurate. However when paired with either a Kenko 300 pro 1.4 tele or a tamron 1.4 tele the autofocus has huge problems locking on. It nearly continuously flutters making these pairings completely useless! Auto servo or single shot settings does nothing to improve the autofocus lock. Neither does changing the focus setting to a single point. Most likely the Kenko and tamron tele's will require an update in order to function properly with this particular lens. As many readers will know, both of these tele's work very well with the original 100mm 2.8 macro.

I leave for Fiji on Saturday where I plan on using the new lens. However I will use diopters (internal and external) for close up work. I will try and post my impressions on the difference between this lens and the old version when I get back.

imasleeper

Edited by imasleeper

Did you try turning off the IS. I wonder if the the new IS is being confused by the TC.

Did you try turning off the IS. I wonder if the the new IS is being confused by the TC.

Yup! Turning off the IS did not make any difference. And when you think about it if one has to turn off the IS to get the TC's to work, it kind of defeats the purpose of upgrading or buying this lens if one is a dedicated TC user.

imasleeper

Edited by imasleeper

Both of those teleconverters' manuals warn of issues with the older Canon 100mm macro lens. It seems they're just now being realized with the new version...

Yup. I think its a confirmed issue. i am having the same problems with the 100mm IS + Kenko 1.4 TC on my 5Dmk2.

Turning IS off and/or limiting the focal range does not help at all.

Although the fluttering does happen near the correct focal setting. So as i use my thumb to focus (using the AF-ON button), i can just focus till it flutters, fine tune with camera positioning, and then trigger the exposure with the trigger finger as per normal. So you can workaround this but it is a pain. (custom function IV-1-3)

However as im trying this out, i occasionally get some weird AF motor noises. So i dont think its recommended.

7 days till Bali... woohoo, cant wait to try this lens on the harlequins and boxers. :(

Does anyone know what size spacers are needed to add the canon 1.4TC to the Ikelite port system?

I just tried the lens with Sigma APO 1.4 TC and it works fine without fluttering or noises. Seems the Sigma is actually better quality than the Kenko which sucks cos now I have to buy another set of TC. :)

Just received the new Canon 100mm 2.8L Macro IS lens. With my 1Ds MKII, the focus on my copy is fast and accurate. However when paired with either a Kenko 300 pro 1.4 tele or a tamron 1.4 tele the autofocus has huge problems locking on. It nearly continuously flutters making these pairings completely useless! Auto servo or single shot settings does nothing to improve the autofocus lock. Neither does changing the focus setting to a single point. Most likely the Kenko and tamron tele's will require an update in order to function properly with this particular lens. As many readers will know, both of these tele's work very well with the original 100mm 2.8 macro.

I leave for Fiji on Saturday where I plan on using the new lens. However I will use diopters (internal and external) for close up work. I will try and post my impressions on the difference between this lens and the old version when I get back.

imasleeper

check this out it may be your solution http://atinyblip.com/photography-stuff/ken...-teleconverter/ Happy Shooting this is the reason you didn't need to spend the money on the NEW 100 the other solution OLD 100 with Kenko MC-7 teleplus works good for me

my kenko doesn't autofocus on the 5DII. the Canon 1.4x + 12mm extension focuses pretty well, but the maximum working distance is about 3 feet. As i recall, the Kenko did work with the old 100M but is about 10% less sharp than the Canon 1.4x in general. On my old 20D, the Kenko doesn't work with the new 100 2.8 Is either.

I just tried the lens with Sigma APO 1.4 TC and it works fine without fluttering or noises. Seems the Sigma is actually better quality than the Kenko which sucks cos now I have to buy another set of TC. :good:

Drew have you used the Sigma TC on a few more dives? Anyone else? Is the Sigma a relatively new TC?

Edited by RedSeaDiver

Sorry mate, didn't buy the Sigma. Refused to acquire yet another trinket I hardly use. :good:

Sorry mate, didn't buy the Sigma. Refused to acquire yet another trinket I hardly use. :good:

Just wondering - did you attach the TC to the camera and then attached the lens - or did you attach the TC to the lens and then attached the whole lot to the camera?

Actually I don't remember. Sorry, but I assume it works both ways so long as the housing has space?

"I just tried the lens with Sigma APO 1.4 TC and it works fine without fluttering or noises. Seems the Sigma is actually better quality than the Kenko which sucks cos now I have to buy another set of TC. " by Drew

Based on this post I purchased the Sigma APO 1.4 TC. Unfortunately, when used with a 1DsMkII and the 100mm 2.8L Macro IS, the Autufocus still flutters and has significant issues with locking on. So this is not the answer for those of us using a 1DsMkII. Kenko has recently updated their teleconverters. While not yet available there is a possibility these will work.

Imasleeper

Sorry man. When I tried it on the 5Dmark II, it did not flutter at all. I did try a brand new Sigma TC and not some old stock. Could be as easy as a firmware upgrade. Check with Sigma.

Based on this post I purchased the Sigma APO 1.4 TC. Unfortunately, when used with a 1DsMkII and the 100mm 2.8L Macro IS, the Autufocus still flutters and has significant issues with locking on. So this is not the answer for those of us using a 1DsMkII. Kenko has recently updated their teleconverters. While not yet available there is a possibility these will work.

Imasleeper

Try doing it again but be sure that you attach the teleconverter to the lens and then attach the whole lot to the camera - there are several reports on the web that this makes a big difference.

Really? That's interesting since neither are powered so it shouldn't matter the order attached since both drawn power from the camera.That's really surprising.

Really? That's interesting since neither are powered so it shouldn't matter the order attached since both drawn power from the camera.That's really surprising.

I couldn't understand why either, but I came across several places on the web that reported that it made a difference, and then I came across this Sigma Teleconverter Compatability Chart and in the notes at the bottom of the page it says

ATTACHING THE APO TELE CONVERTER TO THE LENS

* First, attach the APO Tele Converter EX to the master lens. Then, attach the lens and the Tele Converter to the camera body. If you attach the Tele Converter to the camera body first it may cause a malfunction.

I guess if it works and enables everything to work properly then I will be happy not understanding why. We just need a few people to test it on things like the Canon 100mm IS lens etc that we previously thought wasn't able to work with teleconverters.

Edited by RedSeaDiver

So whats the final verdict? did the Sigma work with your 5d2 after you put it on the lens first , then the body? Or are you still having issues?

I too have the kenko and I guess ill sell it, but I would like to know what I need to buy to make it work with my 100mm IS lens..

I've got the 100mm IS on order, and am interested in this TC topic (I, too, have Kenko TC's), but I'm also interested in what kind of results people are getting uw with this new lens by itself. Has anybody posted anything yet?

on my 5D2 with the 12.5mm extension and Canon 1.4x, the 100 IS hunts a fair bit then finds focus -- max focus is about 3 1/2 feet - maybe marginally useable for macro if you've got enough extension rings

the Kenko teleplus hunts quite badly but finds focus - this may take 10 seconds - probably not useable

comment on the lens itself - at large apertures significantly sharper than the 100M, stopped down to f8-f16 no real difference. subjectively i think it focuses enough faster than the 100M to be useful - on my last trip i seemed to have a higher hit rate on small fish than with the old lens (on 20D). On land it is certainly a more useful lens. The IS really does open up some additional hand-held macro possibilities. I'd be interested in hearing how the macro distance focusing works on the 7D as that should be useful both wet and dry

Try doing it again but be sure that you attach the teleconverter to the lens and then attach the whole lot to the camera - there are several reports on the web that this makes a big difference.

Sorry this does not make any difference with the 1DsMkII. Do you think this will convince my wife to let me upgrade to a 1DsMKIV? ;-)

imasleeper

Sponsors

Advertisements